Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
kiasom
Posts: 32
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby kiasom » 29 Mar 2012

I'm having my strategies in Point charts. All works fine if I use only Data1. However, I've started to introduce some calls to Data2, with data from the same instrument, but with another point value. The data playback seems to get confused from the introduction of Data2: It steps oddly. In the list of step alternatives, it offers from 1 minute step to 100 minutes steps. But steps should of course be in (point) bars.
Also, the data playback doesn't step in bars, it seems to try to step in minutes, because sometimes it steps just one bar, sometimes 3-4 bars at a time.
I'm using version 7.4.

User avatar
TJ
Posts: 6520
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Location: Global Citizen
Has thanked: 957 times
Been thanked: 1883 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby TJ » 29 Mar 2012

kiasom wrote:I'm having my strategies in Point charts. All works fine if I use only Data1. However, I've started to introduce some calls to Data2, with data from the same instrument, but with another point value. The data playback seems to get confused from the introduction of Data2: It steps oddly. In the list of step alternatives, it offers from 1 minute step to 100 minutes steps. But steps should of course be in (point) bars.
Also, the data playback doesn't step in bars, it seems to try to step in minutes, because sometimes it steps just one bar, sometimes 3-4 bars at a time.
I'm using version 7.4.


Did you turn on Realtime-history matching?


Format Study > Property > Advanced

kiasom
Posts: 32
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby kiasom » 29 Mar 2012

Thanks TJ for the suggestion, but it doesn't change a thing.
Sometimes there is one bar per click in playback mode, sometimes two bars, sometimes three (after having no progression at all for three clicks). I assume there is a bug, since the playback options are in minutes, and not in bars.

User avatar
Henry MultiСharts
Posts: 8383
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 2678 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Mar 2012

Hello Kiasom,

Can this behaviour be easily reproduced?
Could you describe the sequence of actions leading to that?
Please also attach the workspace you are using and screenshots demonstrating the problem.
Have you tried to use MC 8.0 ? Can this behaviour reproduced on this version?

kiasom
Posts: 32
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby kiasom » 29 Mar 2012

Here's a word file with a screen shot. You can see that there are two instruments in one chart, crude oil 20 points and crude oil 33 points. On the time axis you see that it's not linear, due to that the instruments are in Points. In the chart, the two point values are both shown together, with two different bar widths.

But the menu choice on data replay shows only 'minutes' as stepping alternatives, and it really does seem to step in minutes, because it really doesnt step in bars per mouse click.
Attachments
screenshot.doc
(159 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

kiasom
Posts: 32
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby kiasom » 29 Mar 2012

Henry Multicharts wrote:Hello Kiasom,

Can this behaviour be easily reproduced?
Could you describe the sequence of actions leading to that?
Please also attach the workspace you are using and screenshots demonstrating the problem.
Have you tried to use MC 8.0 ? Can this behaviour reproduced on this version?


Yes, it can be easily reproduced: Just add another instrument as Data2, and the data replay menu changes from 'bars' to 'minutes'. If you then take away the Data2 instrument, the menu goes back to 'bars' again.

I'm waiting with MC 8.0, but would be glad to hear if that version behaves in the same way.

User avatar
Henry MultiСharts
Posts: 8383
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 2678 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 30 Mar 2012

Kiasom, only the following playback resolutions are available on the chart with multiple data series, in market scanner and in the Global mode:

• Minute by Minute;
• Day by Day.

kiasom
Posts: 32
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby kiasom » 30 Mar 2012

Thanks for clarifying.
So it's a 'feature' and not a 'bug'. Although it both looks and feels like a bug. E.g., sometimes, when the market moves fast, a one-minute step on the data playback will move you maybe 20 bars ahead in one jump on a point chart. And when the market is slow, you can click 3-4 times before you get even a one bar move.
Is there any hope for a fix to this ?

User avatar
Henry MultiСharts
Posts: 8383
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 2678 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 30 Mar 2012

kiasom wrote:Thanks for clarifying.
So it's a 'feature' and not a 'bug'. Although it both looks and feels like a bug. E.g., sometimes, when the market moves fast, a one-minute step on the data playback will move you maybe 20 bars ahead in one jump on a point chart. And when the market is slow, you can click 3-4 times before you get even a one bar move.
Is there any hope for a fix to this ?

That is not a bug, that is expected behaviour.
Please vote for this feature request if you would like Data Playback to be improved.

User avatar
Henry MultiСharts
Posts: 8383
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 2678 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Jun 2013

Tick by Tick PlayBack in Global mode is now available in MultiCharts 8.7 Beta 2 (64 bit version only).
These users thanked the author Henry MultiСharts for the post:
kiasom

Smoky
Posts: 254
Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Smoky » 24 Jun 2013

Henry MultiСharts wrote:Tick by Tick PlayBack in Global mode is now available in MultiCharts 8.7 Beta 2.


Sorry, not working in tick by tick on renko charts :(

what is Global mode ?

User avatar
Henry MultiСharts
Posts: 8383
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 2678 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Jun 2013

Smoky wrote:Sorry, not working in tick by tick on renko charts :(

What do you mean exactly?
Smoky wrote:what is Global mode ?

When the Global mode is selected, all the data series on all opened windows of all the workspaces of one MultiCharts instance will be played. In this case the starting point of the playback will be the same for all charts and scanner windows.
These users thanked the author Henry MultiСharts for the post:
Smoky

Smoky
Posts: 254
Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Smoky » 25 Jun 2013

Henry MultiСharts wrote:
Smoky wrote:Sorry, not working in tick by tick on renko charts :(

What do you mean exactly?
Smoky wrote:what is Global mode ?

When the Global mode is selected, all the data series on all opened windows of all the workspaces of one MultiCharts instance will be played. In this case the starting point of the playback will be the same for all charts and scanner windows.


Very good news :D where select this mode please ?

I hope that the Global mode works fine in tick by tick with renko charts ...

You make a realy great job, thanks

User avatar
Henry MultiСharts
Posts: 8383
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 2678 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Jun 2013

Please refer to wiki for further guidance: Data Playback

Smoky
Posts: 254
Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Smoky » 26 Jun 2013

Please add "No renko bar available in tick by tick" in "Data Playback Limitations"

can't select global mode on renko charts too

not agree with "MC-774 - Replay tick by tick on multiple time frames" Released status

not true with renko charts, may be 3LB or range bars

User avatar
Henry MultiСharts
Posts: 8383
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 2678 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Jun 2013

Smoky wrote:Please add "No renko bar available in tick by tick" in "Data Playback Limitations"
can't select global mode on renko charts too
not agree with "MC-774 - Replay tick by tick on multiple time frames" Released status
not true with renko charts, may be 3LB or range bars

Tick by Tick PlayBack in Global mode is available since MultiCharts 8.7 Beta 2 (64 bit version only). Make sure your MultiCharts is 64 bit and you are running ver 8.7 Beta 2.
Tick by Tick PlayBack for Renko charts is available only when Renko chart is built based on tick data (Format->Instrument->Resolution->1 tick).

Smoky
Posts: 254
Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Smoky » 26 Jun 2013

Thanks Henri,

I use "MultiCharts64 Version 8.7 Beta 2 (Build 7263)"

I love playing with playback, but with renko 0,00090 box size, Fixed Price, Resolution 1 tick, Show Wicks, Show real Open.

no signals, no study in the chart, Global mode enable with another charts (with same setup)
(Datafeed with LMAX)

Playback is playing only bar by bar :(

1 Tick Foward and 1 Tick Backward buttons are playing a bar

User avatar
Henry MultiСharts
Posts: 8383
Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Has thanked: 1200 times
Been thanked: 2678 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Jun 2013

Smoky, non standard charts can be played only like that as there is no detalization for such chart types. So Renko will be played box by box even with 1 tick resolution.

Smoky
Posts: 254
Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Data playback stepping in minutes in point charts

Postby Smoky » 27 Jun 2013

very bad news, i'am waiting for a long time for this playback tick/tick who solve a lot of backtest issues (with real time tools, or to debug code)


Return to “MultiCharts”