Differences in calculation between signals and indicators?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jamesfraseriii

Differences in calculation between signals and indicators?

Postby jamesfraseriii » 30 Mar 2012

Hello all,

New to EL ( that may be the problem).

Wondering if there was any difference between calculation procedures for indicators and signals. I have a indicator that plots momentum divergences. When converted to a signal (same code, same chart etc.) it misses some signals the indicator plots and vice versa. Also the orders it catches tend to be delayed a bar from execution. IOG is on. Just trying to figure out if there is a difference in calculation or I have a error in code

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Differences in calculation between signals and indicator

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 30 Mar 2012

Hello James,

You need to make sure that your signal and indicator have the same settings.

1) First of all you need to base the calculation of the studies on the same amount of bars.
Go to Format tab->Strategy Properties->Properties tab->Maximum number of bars study will reference.
The default value is 50 bars. You need to set the same value for the indicator in:
Format tab->Studies->Format «Study name»->Properties->User specified.

2) If your script is calculated tick by tick (IOG is enabled in Format tab->Signals->Format «Signal name»-> Properties->Enable Intra-Bar Order generation) then you need to enable the option «Update on every tick»
In Format tab->Studies->Format «Study name»->Properties.

3) If you are using «Real-time history matching» then you need to enable it for both signal and indicator:
Format tab->Signals->Format «Signal name»-> Properties
Format tab->Studies->Format «Study name»->Properties

If you have the same settings for both indicator and signal-the calculation results will be the same.
Indicator and signal should be based on the corresponding data series and have the same input values.

jamesfraseriii

Postby jamesfraseriii » 30 Mar 2012

Hello James,

You need to make sure that your signal and indicator have the same settings.

1) First of all you need to base the calculation of the studies on the same amount of bars.
Go to Format tab->Strategy Properties->Properties tab->Maximum number of bars study will reference.
The default value is 50 bars. You need to set the same value for the indicator in:
Format tab->Studies->Format «Study name»->Properties->User specified.

2) If your script is calculated tick by tick (IOG is enabled in Format tab->Signals->Format «Signal name»-> Properties->Enable Intra-Bar Order generation) then you need to enable the option «Update on every tick»
In Format tab->Studies->Format «Study name»->Properties.

3) If you are using «Real-time history matching» then you need to enable it for both signal and indicator:
Format tab->Signals->Format «Signal name»-> Properties
Format tab->Studies->Format «Study name»->Properties

If you have the same settings for both indicator and signal-the calculation results will be the same.
Indicator and signal should be based on the corresponding data series and have the same input values.
Thanks for the reply Henry, I really appreciate it. Real time matching and update every tick are on. My max bar backs were different, I made them both the same. It looks like a lot of the orders now match with the indicator, however it still has missed a few signals and also it has now triggered another buy the next bar in the series, but no new point is plotting in the indicator so I know it's not a new divergence triggering the second order, if that makes any sense.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Apr 2012

If you still have the issue-please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST.
We will do our best to help you.

Return to “MultiCharts”