Anyone used Carbonite to backup MC Studies?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ericvp

Anyone used Carbonite to backup MC Studies?

Postby ericvp » 01 Apr 2012

Hi,

I've used Carbonite for several years. And, while no backup solution is perfect, I've been happy with it, and like the fact that the backups go to an off-site location. I've just noticed that the Signals I've created get saved in a directory (C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts\StudyServer\Studies\SrcEl\Strategies ) that Carbonite is not backing up. I've just spent a frustrating couple hours going through various help boards (starting with Carbonite's), and haven't had any luck.

Has anyone in MultiCharts land figured this one out already?

Background info, and stuff I've tried to no avail:
* I have the HomePremium Carbonite package.
* Unhiding the folder (and all the parents above it).
* Changing the security settings for the folder (and all the parents above it) for Everyone, to allow read access.
* The "right click" Carbonite item does not appear for this folder, or files in it.
* Setting the file type (.el ) to be one that Carbonite backs up.
* Under the folder properties, the Carbonite tab says "Restricted folder not backed up."

Thanks,
Eric

JoshM

Re: Anyone used Carbonite to backup MC Studies?

Postby JoshM » 01 Apr 2012

I don't use Carbonite so I can't be much of help, but have you tried running Carbonite with Administrator privileges?

Do you run Carbonite with MultiCharts (processes) active? If so, and if Carbonite has an option to make a "shadow copy", it might be worth trying with the "shadow copy" since these files may already be "locked" by MultiCharts (that's how I have to backup that folder here).

ericvp

Postby ericvp » 02 Apr 2012

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the ideas. The idea that MC running was the root cause for the folder restriction was an excellent suggestion. Alas, simply closing MC did not do the trick. I'll dig into setting up "shadow copy", and see if that can be used to create a copy in a folder that doesn't have whatever restriction is blocking Carbonite -- the fact that you've used it in your own backup approach makes it seem very promising. Unfortunately, running Carbonite as Administrator didn't work.

Thanks again,
Eric

ericvp

Postby ericvp » 02 Apr 2012

I think I've found a successful work around.

I just use a standard Windows backup (YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDSNmX_ZFY ) of that restricted folder to my D: drive (my C: drive is an SSD drive, and D: is a hard drive), and let Carbonite back up that folder on my D: drive.

escamillo

Postby escamillo » 02 Apr 2012

I think I've found a successful work around.

I just use a standard Windows backup (YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDSNmX_ZFY ) of that restricted folder to my D: drive (my C: drive is an SSD drive, and D: is a hard drive), and let Carbonite back up that folder on my D: drive.
Using the PLE Editor consider exporting all of your studies, signals and functions [can do data also from Quotemanager] to your desktop and then for additional backup sending out to some e-mail addresses that you have the PLE export file as an attachment. Additional backup and safer than just using an external backup program. You then also have a hard copy backup on your computer and can also put that file onto a memory stick or some external device.

ericvp

Postby ericvp » 03 Apr 2012

Hi escamillo,

Thanks for the suggestion. That is a good fall-back approach when automated approaches aren't working.

Take care,
Eric

Return to “MultiCharts”