Exact Steps to get a study to remember its subchart.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Exact Steps to get a study to remember its subchart.

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Jun 2012

I have two studies I turn off every night now and turn back on in the morning. They never remember that they are assigned to SubChart #1 so when I turn them on I have to keep resetting them (they create a new subchart #3). I gather there is a method to get them to remember this. Can someone detail exactly how to do this.

TJ

Re: Exact Steps to get a study to remember its subchart.

Postby TJ » 18 Jun 2012

I have two studies I turn off every night now and turn back on in the morning. They never remember that they are assigned to SubChart #1 so when I turn them on I have to keep resetting them (they create a new subchart #3). I gather there is a method to get them to remember this. Can someone detail exactly how to do this.
Format Studies > Properties > SubChart

bowlesj3

Hi TJ. The procedure you mentioned is what I have to do every morning and which I am trying to avoid.

Actually I think I figured it out. I just have to set the default checkbox when I set them to subchart #1 and for these studies it seems to have remembered the setting. However, I think there are situations where this use to not work since I have tried this before and it did not work at times and I remember trying to figure out why it works for some studies and not others. This time it did work (at least without bringing MC down and up it did work). I may have some info on this because I reported the problem on the PM and it was explained but I did not understand it. I will try to remember to bring it in to this post tonight.

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Jun 2012

Hi TJ. The procedure you mentioned is what I have to do every morning and which I am trying to avoid.

Actually I think I figured it out. I just have to set the default checkbox when I set them to subchart #1 and for these studies it seems to have remembered the setting. However, I think there are situations where this use to not work since I have tried this before and it did not work at times and I remember trying to figure out why it works for some studies and not others. This time it did work (at least without bringing MC down and up it did work). I may have some info on this because I reported the problem on the PM and it was explained but I did not understand it. I will try to remember to bring it in to this post tonight.
You have to save the wsp after making your setting.

Situation where it will not remember:
If you recycled an indicator,
eg. an old indicator that was using subchart #1 as default, if you change the code and use it on subchart #2, it will not remember the changes. (this might be a minor bug).

bowlesj3

Thanks TJ. I have put your possible bug on my todo list and I will give it a try.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 19 Jun 2012

Here is the PM request.

Often turning a study on and off changes the subchart that was selected for it.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-478

I was thinking about the title to this request. The default setting check box really has nothing to do with this issue. Placing this study on a new chart is what that default check box is for. It has nothing to do with turning a study off then back on. I believe that if the study changes the subchart by simply turning the study off then back on this is a bug.The quote below is the explanation I was given for not considering it a bug. I do not agree with the quote below. Not only that the bug tends to create a new subchart #3 rather than switching it to subchart #1 where the data series is. So as far as I am concerned this PM should be changed back to an active bug. It is not a feature request. When users try out MC during the trial period it will annoy them that they keep having to change the sub-chart back to the one they want. There are two variants to this bug as far as I can see. The next post outlines how to create one version of the bug.
It is not a bug if studies that have scaling "Same as Instrument" change subcharts when you turn them off and on. They will be applied to the subchart of the base data series on your chart. See attached video. If this behaviour is not what you'd like to see, please add a separate feature request.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 19 Jun 2012, edited 5 times in total.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 19 Jun 2012

The check box did not fix the problem yesterday. Here are the details on how to recreate it consistently.

The problem occurs (in this case at least) when MC is brought down and back up. MC does not store this setting on the disk it appears. However it does store the setting in memory. These studies do not have any plots. They create text and arrows on subchart #1. If I turn the study off and bring MC down and back up and turn the study back on it thinks it should go on subchart #3 (a new subchart). So I have to change the subchart assignment back to #1 every single morning. After I have made this correction if I then immediately turn the study off then back on again (without bringing MC down and back up) then it remembers the subchart. Again it does not write the subchart assignment to disk if MC is brought down while it is off. However, 100% for sure there have been instances in the past where the study did not remember its subchart even if MC was left running. This may be the bug TJ was talking about above which I have not tested yet. I suspect so because I seem to remember some where it would change it from subchart #1 to subchart #2 (which I already have) without creating a new subchart #3 (which I never have because I do not have enough room on my charts).

I created a link to this post in the above PM request shown in the post #6 above. I copied the text in this post into the "How to reproduce" section of the PM request.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 20 Jun 2012

I was looking at the columns that appear when the user turns the indicator status on and off. it is a separate column from the Subchart column as it should be. I believe it is an error to change the subchart column to "hidden" when we turn the status off. Actually it is kind of obvious when someone takes the time to think about it. Unfortunately I guess we often have so many other things to think about that it takes a while to notice this problem and that is the purpose of this post. It should be left alone at the user's subchart choice. After all "status off" means nothing more than the indicator will not execute and the users are smart enough to know this. I can not remember where the word "verifying" is placed. It should be in the status column and I assume it is.

So I believe that the PM link should be put back to bug and the hidden idea should be taken out (the study is simply off and the user can see the subchart it will be executing on when it is turned back on). I do not think this setup would create any complaints.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 22 Jun 2012

Actually, I have to correct myself. This problem is not a bug. It is a design flaw which has lead to a few added bugs on top of it.

Return to “MultiCharts”