Tip for getting HL Bars  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
RichardTodd

Tip for getting HL Bars

Postby RichardTodd » 17 Aug 2012

One thing I missed once I turned NT off and started using MC exclusively was HL bars.

At a friend's suggestion, I tried this workaround:
  1. Set the chart for HLC bars. Make the closing tick as thin as possible and a match for the chart background color in Format Intrument => Style => Chart Style. This will make the closing tick mostly invisible, but it still cuts visible notches in the bars.
  2. Add a 1-period SMA to the chart, and set the color the same as your bars, and set the plot style to dots. This dot covers up the notch that the closing tick made.
... and you get HL bars (see attachment for example). I thought if other people liked HL bars this might help them, too.

Strangely enough, this is the same workaround I suggest to people that want HLC bars on NT (You use HL bars and add a visible 1-SMA to the chart for the closing tick!)
Attachments
HLbars.png
HL Bars
(53.97 KiB) Downloaded 306 times

TJ

Re: Tip for getting HL Bars

Postby TJ » 17 Aug 2012

One thing I missed once I turned NT off and started using MC exclusively was HL bars.

At a friend's suggestion, I tried this workaround:
  1. Set the chart for HLC bars. Make the closing tick as thin as possible and a match for the chart background color in Format Intrument => Style => Chart Style. This will make the closing tick mostly invisible, but it still cuts visible notches in the bars.
  2. Add a 1-period SMA to the chart, and set the color the same as your bars, and set the plot style to dots. This dot covers up the notch that the closing tick made.
... and you get HL bars (see attachment for example). I thought if other people liked HL bars this might help them, too.

Strangely enough, this is the same workaround I suggest to people that want HLC bars on NT (You use HL bars and add a visible 1-SMA to the chart for the closing tick!)
Instead of the 1-period SMA,
you can use the indicator to plot the HL only.

RichardTodd

Re: Tip for getting HL Bars

Postby RichardTodd » 17 Aug 2012

you can make an indicator to plot the HL only
That's a good idea too. I tried it just now, but when I set the chart to "invisible bars" I lose control of the color of the current price marker and bar timer. Unfortunately, the colors it seems to default to are hard to read. Any way to change that (see attachment)? The only way I know to make it easy to read again is to select HLC again. At that point the HL indicator and the 1SMA have the same effect as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I can use "Dot on Close" instead of "invisible bars" and regain control of the colors. So, either my original suggestion, or Dot-on-close with a "Plot1(High);Plot2(Low);" indicator will work great I think.
Attachments
hardToRead.PNG
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

TJ

Re: Tip for getting HL Bars  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 17 Aug 2012

you can make an indicator to plot the HL only
That's a good idea too. I tried it just now, but when I set the chart to "invisible bars" I lose control of the color of the current price marker and bar timer. Unfortunately, the colors it seems to default to are hard to read. Any way to change that (see attachment)? The only way I know to make it easy to read again is to select HLC again. At that point the HL indicator and the 1SMA have the same effect as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I can use "Dot on Close" instead of "invisible bars" and regain control of the colors. So, either my original suggestion, or Dot-on-close with a "Plot1(High);Plot2(Low);" indicator will work great I think.
At the Format Instrument window,
under Style tab,
you can select Invisible Bars,
but the default color will be retained for the Price Marker.

You can change the color selection and the market will change accordingly.

Return to “MultiCharts”