QuoteManager connecting for symbols I no longer use  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ericvp

QuoteManager connecting for symbols I no longer use

Postby ericvp » 24 Aug 2012

Hi,

I've noticed that QuoteManger is very aggressive about establishing a real-time data connection for instruments I have worked with in the past, but am not currently using in any chart or scanner. Whenever I launch the MC real time market scanner, I can see in the QuoteManager event log that it first connects to real-time data for instruments I have used in the past until it reaches a "Max number of tickers has been reached" error. By the time the QuoteManager gets around to requesting data for the instruments I currently have in the scanner, things are unstable (eg, it will skip collecting real time data on some instruments unless I delete them, then re-add them to the scanner).

Is there a way to prevent QuoteManager from trying connect for instruments I am not actively interested in?

Thanks,
Eric

Background info:
* I am currently using IB as both my data provider and the broker for trading.
* The instruments are only US listed stocks. I currently have 24 stocks in a Scanner window. I have no other MC windows open. My IB TWS has 22 additional stocks in its windows. My IB account is authorized for 250 simultaneous real time quotes.
* It is the "SMART" (label from IB) category of Stocks that QuoteManger is doing connections for.
* I have tried deleting all the stocks in the SMART category, quitting MC and IB TWS, and restarting, but QuoteManager re-populates this list (263 symbols), and re-connects the data feed for all of these before looking at the symbols I have in the scanner list. I recognize many of the symbols as ones I have worked with in the past, but I have no idea where QuoteManager is creating this list from.
* I have not seen different behavior when I tried restarting both MC and IB TWS after trying checking/unchecking each of the following boxes (ie, I tried with each item enabled and disabled) within QuoteManager/Tools/Data Sources/Interactive Brokers/Settings:
- Download historical data
- Simultaneous loading of Historical Data across all symbols/charts
- Utilization of cache for real-time price data
- Don't request data for empty periods

Henry MultiСharts

Re: QuoteManager connecting for symbols I no longer use

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Aug 2012

Hello Eric,

Here is what I can recommend:
1) Make sure "collect data w/o plotting" in QuoteManager is disabled for the instruments you do not use
2) Create a new workspace with new scanner window without opening your old workspace
3) Disconnect your IB broker profile and create a new broker profile in File->Broker profiles->Manage->New->IB.
4) Disable "Utilization of cache for real-time price data" using this solution.

ericvp

Re: QuoteManager connecting for symbols I no longer use  [SOLVED]

Postby ericvp » 27 Aug 2012

Hi Henry,

Your solution seems to have worked perfectly. Thank you.

- Eric

Return to “MultiCharts”