Having A subchart with a different time scale  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
KhaosTrader

Having A subchart with a different time scale

Postby KhaosTrader » 26 Aug 2012

I want to have a subchart with the same instrument on a different time scale. As you can see in the enclosed screenshot, on the top subchart I have 10 min and 60 minute time bars, on the bottom subchart I just have 60 min time bars. I was hoping that I would be able to see more bars on the botttom subchart so I can see a "gods eye view" of the instrument over time, and on the upper subchart chart I can see a more "close in" snapshot.

Is there a way to make it so that the bottom subchart has a lower timescale than the upper subchart?
Attachments
2SubChartsWDiffTimeScales.png
(46.76 KiB) Downloaded 697 times

TJ

Re: Having A subchart with a different time scale

Postby TJ » 26 Aug 2012

I want to have a subchart with the same instrument on a different time scale. As you can see in the enclosed screenshot, on the top subchart I have 10 min and 60 minute time bars, on the bottom subchart I just have 60 min time bars. I was hoping that I would be able to see more bars on the botttom subchart so I can see a "gods eye view" of the instrument over time, and on the upper subchart chart I can see a more "close in" snapshot.

Is there a way to make it so that the bottom subchart has a lower timescale than the upper subchart?
if you want a different time scale, you have to create a new chart; different time scales cannot co-exist on the same chart. You can stack the charts one on top of the other in the same wsp.

KhaosTrader

Ok, thanks for the clarification. The problem is, I want to stack 3 of these in a single WS, and then I have to constantly adjust them, I tried to use the arrange window, but using that causes a forced arrangement not to my liking. It would be great if i could utilize a workspace docking capability. This feature exists in TC2000 and also in esignal. Its very useful, as the windows will automatically use the most available space allotted to them. Please consider this as a feature enhancement.

TJ

Re: Having A subchart with a different time scale  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 26 Aug 2012

Ok, thanks for the clarification. The problem is, I want to stack 3 of these in a single WS, and then I have to constantly adjust them, I tried to use the arrange window, but using that causes a forced arrangement not to my liking. It would be great if i could utilize a workspace docking capability. This feature exists in TC2000 and also in esignal. Its very useful, as the windows will automatically use the most available space allotted to them. Please consider this as a feature enhancement.
If you have detached the chart,
look for the pin icon located at the top right corner of your chart.

Otherwise
you can use "Arrange" to automaticaly use the most available space on a desktop.

Look under the

Window > Arrange Vertically

KhaosTrader

Yes I understand I can detach the chart and then place it in a particular place and pin it.

However, having the capability to arrange windows in the manner of the other two programs would be ideal.

Also, it would be good if I could "detach" a tab itself, so that it could act as a container for me.

That brings me to another idea, which is, perhaps I can run two multicharts instances at the same time, is that advisable?

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Aug 2012

Yes I understand I can detach the chart and then place it in a particular place and pin it.

However, having the capability to arrange windows in the manner of the other two programs would be ideal.

Also, it would be good if I could "detach" a tab itself, so that it could act as a container for me.

That brings me to another idea, which is, perhaps I can run two multicharts instances at the same time, is that advisable?
Yes it is advisable. That's how I do it: an instance for every screen. The only requirement is sufficient RAM in your computer.

KhaosTrader

Ok Great.... One issue I just thought about tho, would the fact that I have autosave on, which means that the last instance closed would be the one which would be saved for the next time I loaded one more instances....

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Aug 2012

Ok Great.... One issue I just thought about tho, would the fact that I have autosave on, which means that the last instance closed would be the one which would be saved for the next time I loaded one more instances....
The autosave saves wsp. You should not have the same wsp opened more than once.

KhaosTrader

Ok, so what you do, is you open several instances of MC, then you manually open each WS for each MC instance such that no two instances share a WS.

Is it possible to fire a command line that would preload an instance of MC with a set of WS..

For example if you had commandline options for MC you could enter

multicharts /openWS WorkspaceA WorkspaceB WorkspaceC

If that was possible, then I could create several commands that would properly autoload instances each with a proper predefined set WS on MC.

Now, you gotta admit that would be cool.

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Aug 2012

Ok, so what you do, is you open several instances of MC, then you manually open each WS for each MC instance such that no two instances share a WS.

Is it possible to fire a command line that would preload an instance of MC with a set of WS..

For example if you had commandline options for MC you could enter

multicharts /openWS WorkspaceA WorkspaceB WorkspaceC

If that was possible, then I could create several commands that would properly autoload instances each with a proper predefined set WS on MC.

Now, you gotta admit that would be cool.
I save my wsp with names like 1.aaa, 1.bbb, 1.ccc, 2.aaa, 2.bbb, 2.ccc, etc.,
All the wsp for screen #1 are grouped together under 1.xxx, and all the wsp for screen #2 are grouped together under 2.xxx. It is not a big challenge to open all the wsp for any one screen.

Return to “MultiCharts”