Different timeframe MAs not 'fixing' to price

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jr123

Different timeframe MAs not 'fixing' to price

Postby jr123 » 10 Dec 2012

Hello,

I'm sure this is my own inexperience with MC, but I have created a 5 minute chart and added two more data streams from different time periods. I have hidden the latter two and added the moving averages for them onto the 5 minute chart. They display fine... but refuse to remain fixed to the price range being displayed. They float around as I move the screen, so if I move the candlesticks completely off screen, the MAs follow me around. I have tried changing a combination of settings based on scaling etc, but they refuse to remain fixed to price.

I would very much appreciate the solution to this - apologies if I am doing something horribly wrong. The moving averages also seem to alter in shape as I move to the left, as if they are calculating from the screen values rather than the instrument, but their settings are identical to the 5 minute 20 EMA bar the data input, which does not exhibit this behaviour.

I did spend some time looking for this on the boards, but without luck.

Thank you.

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Different timeframe MAs not 'fixing' to price

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 10 Dec 2012

Hello jr123,

I believe the solution for you would be the following:
  • Make a right-click on the chart -> Format Indicators... -> Select the indicator -> Format -> Scaling -> Same as Instrument -> ok.
  • do the same for all indicators.
  • Do not move the indicators themselves, otherwise the scaling will be reset to "user defined" and it will not match the scaling of the instrument. If you want to re-scale the whole picture, drag the price scale with your mouse.

jr123

Postby jr123 » 10 Dec 2012

Thanks Andrew,

Unfortunately this option was already selected. I have tried de-selecting and re-selecting etc, avoiding dragging the charts etc, but the same behaviour occurs as if the other timeframe MAs are not at all 'aware' of the prices being displayed on the 5 min range. I.e. they display the moving average wherever the screen goes instead even though screen scale is not selected. So I can drag the EURUSD up to 1.6 and it will print the moving average across there while the price is ~1.3. They also do not increase or decrease in scale as I alter the price scale either. They remain exactly the same size unlike the 5 min MA as you would expect.

Curious!

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 10 Dec 2012

Please come to our live chat to demonstrate the situation.

Return to “MultiCharts”