MultiCharts .Net - Proper API Reference

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
master.aurora

MultiCharts .Net - Proper API Reference

Postby master.aurora » 06 Feb 2013

Hello,

I will start my post by showing how much development in MultiCharts .Net has frustrated me. There is little to no resource available to help a beginner. I have almost 2 years of experience with multiple trading platforms and APIs and i have never seen anything that is so scratchy with the resources it offers.

Now to one of many issues i have been facing. I want to take full control & track any orders that my strategy generates. I see no order events that can be used. Also, when trying to do some hit & trial, i run into trouble finding help about many of the Classes/Interfaces of the API. They are not even mentioned in the help file that comes with the editor. To name a few: IOrderControl, COrderPriced...

I would greatly appreciate if someone can lend a helping hand in pointing me to a resource or anything remotely helpful. I am writing a strategy that needs to be backtested in the portfolio backtester, if that helps.

Hoping to get some positive feedback.

Thanks.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: MultiCharts .Net - Proper API Reference

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Feb 2013

Hello, I will start my post by showing how much development in MultiCharts .Net has frustrated me. There is little to no resource available to help a beginner. I have almost 2 years of experience with multiple trading platforms and APIs and i have never seen anything that is so scratchy with the resources it offers.
Hello master.aurora,

MultiCharts .Net is oriented to experienced programmers. In case you have any questions regarding C# coding we recommend referencing MSDN for information.
Interfaces and classes available in MultiCharts .Net are described in MC .Net help file. In case you have any specific questions on their usage-please let me know. You can also find the code examples in the source code of the prebuilt MultiCharts studies.
Now to one of many issues i have been facing. I want to take full control & track any orders that my strategy generates. I see no order events that can be used. Also, when trying to do some hit & trial, i run into trouble finding help about many of the Classes/Interfaces of the API. They are not even mentioned in the help file that comes with the editor. To name a few: IOrderControl, COrderPriced...
IOrderControl, COrderPriced are used for internal needs only. They are not available to the end users.
I would greatly appreciate if someone can lend a helping hand in pointing me to a resource or anything remotely helpful. I am writing a strategy that needs to be backtested in the portfolio backtester, if that helps.
You can see the trades taken by the strategy in backtesting in the Strategy performance Report.
There is no way to see what orders were generated, cancelled, etc by the strategy in backtesting as PowerLanguage Backtester works differently from the broker simulators. On a study calculation a set of orders is generated. Orders live until the next study calculation. To continue sending orders they should be generated on each calculation. The orders are not actually sent, that is why there are no cancelled/rejected orders.

master.aurora

Re: MultiCharts .Net - Proper API Reference

Postby master.aurora » 06 Feb 2013

Hello master.aurora,

MultiCharts .Net is oriented to experienced programmers. In case you have any questions regarding C# coding we recommend referencing MSDN for information.
I dont have much problem with C# as i am quite accustomed to working with it. :)
You can see the trades taken by the strategy in backtesting in the Strategy performance Report.
There is no way to see what orders were generated, cancelled, etc by the strategy in backtesting as PowerLanguage Backtester works differently from the broker simulators. On a study calculation a set of orders is generated. Orders live until the next study calculation. To continue sending orders they should be generated on each calculation. The orders are not actually sent, that is why there are no cancelled/rejected orders.
Understood.

Thanks.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”