[IntraBarPersist = true] Paramter. Great to vote on.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

[IntraBarPersist = true] Paramter. Great to vote on.

Postby bowlesj3 » 25 Feb 2013

START: 2013/Mar/01 Update:
See post #6 for the link to vote on [IntraBarPersist = true]
END: 2013/Mar/01 Update:

These days I put IntraBarPersist on most variables since that is the way normal languages work in that you do not have to worry about the language itself resetting your variables on you. So this raises a very interesting question. Does putting IntraBarPersist on all variables slow MC down? If it does can we not get a parameter that inverts things such that all variables retain their value without having to constantly remember to put IntraBarPersist on every single one and such that the programming internally does not slow MC down even a slight bit.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 01 Mar 2013, edited 2 times in total.

TJ

Re: IntraBarPersist

Postby TJ » 25 Feb 2013

These days I put IntraBarPersist on most variables since that is the way normal languages work in that you do not have to worry about the language itself resetting your variables on you. So this raises a very interesting question. Does putting IntraBarPersist on all variables slow MC down? If it does can we not get a parameter that inverts things such that all variables retain their value without having to constantly remember to put IntraBarPersist on every single one and such that the programming internally does not slow MC down even a slight bit.
SLow down? I thought it would be the reverse, because MultiCharts does not have to do as much calculations. I have never tested it though.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 26 Feb 2013

For a long time now I have been using intrabarpersist for all variables on my systems....have not noticed any slowdown. I like the idea of having one declaration something on lines of IOG "[IntrabarPersist=true] " would be useful.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Feb 2013

SLow down? I thought it would be the reverse, because MultiCharts does not have to do as much calculations. I have never tested it though.
I actually mean when we have to put IntraBarPersist on every variable it probably for every single variable has to execute a little extra code. So it we had something like what Super suggested it would most likely execute one small set of code instead. Here is the rub, no one would ever run code without it! Why would they! As long as they have the new parameter
[RecoverDrawings = false]
in place there is no need to worry about the ID on drawings being incorrect (or if they placed all drawings on currentbar=1 then they would have no problem.

As far as your comment about your putting Intrabarpersist on every variable Super, I find that I tend to not put them on because I have been programming that way for 30 or 32 years now (LOL, can't remember). So I guess you could call that a good habit and a bad compiler idea from who knows when TS was first invented. I was thinking of writing a database script to go through the EL code and fix it so all parameters etc have IntraBarPersist on them (not hard to do actually). The problem is the drawing IDs can not have them unless this new Param [RecoverDrawings = false] is in place (depending on how you did the code). In my case my first scripts were written as if there was no problem with drawings being removed and I don't want to touch code that seems to work. I did that once and put Intrabarpersist on all variable s and the code stopped working. So to put it on all of them I need some free time to debug. I do not have that much free time these days.

To me all they need is this parameter and that is all the user needs to know.
[MS Acts like a normal language = true]
[MS Acts like a normal language = false] {strange like TS I gather.}

We all know the settings 100% of brand new users will use (especially the programmers).

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Feb 2013

So since this
[IntraBarPersist=true]
is such a great idea that I am sure many people have wished for (although maybe not solved in exactly this way) has anyone put a PM request in for it. If not maybe I will do it unless someone else wants to do it.

Reasons:
Less typing! That alone would make it worth while - LOL
Less bugs. I have had at least 10 bugs from not putting it in because I am not use to having to put it in.
More Professional. - If MC has this in it makes MC look a lot better than TS (helps sales).
TS compliment - This is a bit of a speculation for me since I have never used the real time TS but I assume that TS users can port in then use this parameter for new studies.

If the MC staff eventually create it it needs to be used with with.
[RecoverDrawings = false]
That way the ID fields for the drawings are being held in place across ticks and the drawings are also being held in place across ticks.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 01 Mar 2013

The [IntraBarPersist=true] parameter has been entered in this PM system at link.
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1258
I have no doubt that almost everyone will want to vote for this one. It includes ideas related to speeding up processing too.

I included a few Power Language ideas to help users get in the habit of using it if it is implemented.

The above request also mentions a few related IntraBarPersist ideas at the links below.

Intrabarpersist warning at Update On Every tick choice. (still useful)
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-621

Intrabarpersist warning at indicator copy time (less important if the new param is created)
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-622

Intrabarpersist warning and assist at initial variable definition time (less important now)
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-623

Return to “MultiCharts”