MC.net stable versus beta release process

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
MidKnight

MC.net stable versus beta release process

Postby MidKnight » 27 Feb 2013

Hi MC team,

I would like to know what is your stable release strategy. I will only ever use stable versions for any of my trading and will never take a risk of using any beta software in any of my trading environments. Since buying MC.net there have been several beta releases, I think there was an 8.1 beta, 8.2 beta and now an 8.5 beta. Under most release cycles that we used when I was a commercial software developer, each new version went through a series of beta releases and then a stable release was put out. For example, 8.1 beta would turn into an 8.1 stable. This doesn't seem to be how you guys do things though.

When can we expect a stable upgrade and what is your beta to stable release cycle like? It would be nice to have more frequent stable releases.

With kind regards,
MK

Henry MultiСharts

Re: MC.net stable versus beta release process

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Feb 2013

Hello MidKnight,

Our development cycle is not different from any other. After the latest Release version is out we are starting adding new features. When we are ready to make these features go public or we have a critical update we roll out a new beta version. It is called "beta" but it does not mean that it is "full of bugs" or it is not stable. Only stable builds become public betas. Though, they are public beta versions and their purpose is to let the users test new functionality and report their fedback before the Official Release. Each new beta version is more stable then the previous one. Still we always recommend to do a backup of your user data prior to updating to a new version. Once the update is done it is recommended to test your setup on a demo connection.

We've got a little "messy" development cycle with MultiCharts .Net 8.5.
Previous beta was called 8.1 beta but the next beta received 8.5 beta 2 index due to a lot of functionality improvements and in order to come in line with regular MultiCharts.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 28 Feb 2013

Hi Henry,

But why no stable release before jumping to 8.5 beta? I sure hope I'm not going to have to wait until 9.0 before another stable is released......

With kind regards,
MK

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Feb 2013

The next version is MultiCharts .Net 8.5 Release Candidate. It should become available next week. After 8.5 RC we will have MultiCharts 8.5 Release.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”