Code obfuscation  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
tradetree

Code obfuscation

Postby tradetree » 30 Apr 2013

Is there any support for protecting code you create so that a broker can run it without being able to reverse compile the source? I want to develop strategies for lease to be run on a brokers MC platform on his server.

I know Visual Studio has Dotfuscator CE built in, so I'm wondering if that can be used even when it is not Visual Studio to my knowledge that is being used as the compiler?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Code obfuscation

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 30 Apr 2013

Hello tradetree,

The most effective protection is to move the main part of the code into C++ library and then reference this library from C# study. Info from MultiCharts .Net FAQ

I believe there should be no problem compiling this dll with Dotfuscator CE in Visual Studio.

tradetree

Re: Code obfuscation  [SOLVED]

Postby tradetree » 30 Apr 2013

That makes sense. How about putting the main part of the code in a C# dll and using dotfuscator on that? Then I could reference the C# dll from my main study. Looks like from the link you shared this is how to access a C# dll:
"For C# dll you need to add a reference in PowerLanguage .Net Editor (Right click on the workarea with the code in PowerLanguage .Net Editor->References-> Add reference/Add global reference)."

I suppose C++ in a dll is more secure than C#, but I have a lot of C# code I don't want to convert to C++. Thanks for the heads up and please comment on any assumptions I made here.

Chi-Yuan Shih

Postby Chi-Yuan Shih » 06 May 2014

Hello tradetree,

The most effective protection is to move the main part of the code into C++ library and then reference this library from C# study. Info from MultiCharts .Net FAQ

I believe there should be no problem compiling this dll with Dotfuscator CE in Visual Studio.
To move the main part of the code into C++, access to the price and volume data will be the first issue.
Is it possible to access data stream from (Class : tsMarketData) in C++ Dll ?
Would you please demonstrate how to access price and volume data of instruments in C++ Dll ?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 May 2014

Is it possible to access data stream from (Class : tsMarketData) in C++ Dll ?
Hello Chi-Yuan Shih,

That is possible to transfer the data from the code into the dll via the parameters of the interface methods of the dll.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”