Want to clear/restart my database files.  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Want to clear/restart my database files.

Postby bowlesj3 » 09 May 2013

Hi,

I am starting a series of attempts at shinking my database files because they are getting large and I do not use that data. Here are the attempts and the results of the first attempt.

1/ delete the 3 database files and start MC hoping it will recreate the database files from the current backfill. Results: If failed. I got an error message and I had to restore the database files.

2/ Repeat #1 but run a repair install so I keep my user settings and hoping it will fix the error. Result: (pending - will try this on the weekend).

3/ Do a complete re-install (without any data out there) but keeping my user settings and work spaces and hoping this will fix that error. Result: (pending - will try this on the weekend).

4/ Do a complete re-install (without any data and overlaying my user settings). Then just manually set things up as if it was my first time using MC.

Two Questions:
1/ Is there a shorter way?
2/ Do I need a pm request to make this procedure as simple as #1 above meaning MC is smart enough to realize I do not want all that old data which I never use and I want the files refreshed.

Thanks,
John

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Want to clear/restart my database files.

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 May 2013

Hello John,

If you want your data to be accessible and to be able to import it easily-I would recommend you to export it into QMD file. Once you export the data into QMD file-you can delete the symbols you do not need from QuoteManager directly. That is not the fastest way for exporing, but the easiest way to delete part of the symbols and be able to import them back easily.

If you backup your complete databases folder then it will require replacing databases folder in MultiCharts in order to export/access data. There will be no way to partially restore the databases/some symbols only. In order to have clean databases, please rename the databases folder and repair MultiCharts in order to create new clean default databases.

Uninstalling MultiCharts with the checkbox "Delete user data" will work as well.

bowlesj3

Re: Want to clear/restart my database files.

Hi Henry,

It sounds like the 2nd approach you described is similar to the "2nd try idea" I described. Specifically my idea as to delete all the files from the database folder that MC uses and first try to start MC and after I get the error then do the repair then try to start MC again. As far as your 3rd suggestion goes, I can not remember the uninstall process but if it can remove the data but keep the user settings that would also be good. I will give it a run soon. Maybe tonight.

Thanks,
John

P.S. I have lots of backups of the data (I have a 30 day rotation system I use), They are kept in a special directory.

bowlesj3

Re: Want to clear/restart my database files.  [SOLVED]

I got it to work Henry. I used the (remove all files from the directory, try to load, get the error, run the repair, try it again) method. After that I had to follow the standard procedure for switching futures contracts that I use.

Thanks again,
John

Return to “MultiCharts”