Multicharts on 1 PC and and IB TWS on another

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mltrader

Multicharts on 1 PC and and IB TWS on another

Postby mltrader » 10 May 2013

I'm using an IQ data feed. Can I run MC on 1 PC and IB TWS on another? I get an error when I try to set up the symbol mapping. What is the correct symbol mapping for eMini on IB ? Is it "ES Jun'13" or just "ES Jun 13" or "ES Jun'13 @ Globex"?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Multicharts on 1 PC and and IB TWS on another

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 May 2013

Hello mltrader,

That is possible to run MultiCharts on 1 PC and IB TWS on another if they are located in the same network. You need to enter the computer name or IP address in Server field of data provider and broker configuration.

Current eMini contract on IB is ESM3.
Please add the symbols from the data source.
In QuoteManager please go to Instrument tab->Add symbol->From data source-> IB->Futures->ES->Lookup.

mltrader

Postby mltrader » 10 May 2013

I don't have IB installed on the computer I'm running MC on so I get the error:
"Interactive Broker client software is not installed or incompatible. Please install latest version of client software."

So do I need to install TWS on the same computer I have MC installed on even though I'm trading through TWS on a separate computer?

TJ

Postby TJ » 10 May 2013

I don't have IB installed on the computer I'm running MC on so I get the error:
"Interactive Broker client software is not installed or incompatible. Please install latest version of client software."

So do I need to install TWS on the same computer I have MC installed on even though I'm trading through TWS on a separate computer?
You don't have to have TWS on the same computer as MultiCharts, but they should be on the same router network.
Expect latency for such a set up.

Go to your TWS computer,
run ipconfig under cmd to find out the ip address of your TWS computer.
Then start QuoteManager,
Under Tools > Data Sources > InteractiveBrokers > Settings >
enter Server IP Address.
You should also do the same for TWS; enter the MultiCharts address into TWS, so that it won't ask you for permission every time you start trading.

mltrader

Postby mltrader » 12 May 2013

I'm still getting "order rejected" errors. I've connected successfully to IB. I installed latest version on the same computer that MC is on just to get something simplier going. I got the symbol mapping to accept with no errors but I still can't drag out a limit order on to the chart. The chart displays the IG data feed symbol @ESM13. Does the chart symbol need to match with IB's symbol or does the mapping take care of that?

What else should I try to debug this?

Thanks,

mlt

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 May 2013

Please go to QuoteManager->Tools->DataSources->IB->Settings->uncheck "Launch Trader Workstation at start".
I'm still getting "order rejected" errors.
What is the reject reason in MultiCharts->File -> New -> Order and position tracker window -> Logs tab? Most probably this is mapping issue. Please find how to set it up below.
I got the symbol mapping to accept with no errors but I still can't drag out a limit order on to the chart. The chart displays the IG data feed symbol @ESM13. Does the chart symbol need to match with IB's symbol or does the mapping take care of that?
Symbol Mapping is designed to make trading possible when your data provider and broker symbol names mismatch.
Please do the following:
You need to have symbols added both from data feed and broker.
Please re-add the symbols from the data source:
In the QuoteManager go to Instrument tab->Add symbol->From data source->IQfeed->Futures->ES->Lookup->@ESM13->Add.
Instrument tab->Add symbol->From data source-> IB->Futures->ES->Lookup->ESM3->Add.

To do the symbol mapping you need to do the following:
Go to the File->Broker profiles->Symbol mapping.
Select your broker IB. Find a line that says @ESM13 IQfeed in the Chart Symbol column, click on "three dot" button in Broker Symbol column on the same line and select ESM3 IB symbol. Click Ok.
Attachments
ES_mapping.png
(9.84 KiB) Downloaded 799 times

Return to “MultiCharts”