Switching between IB TWS live to simulator is slow now.  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Switching between IB TWS live to simulator is slow now.  [SOLVED]

Postby bowlesj3 » 07 Jun 2013

UPDATE: Confirmed! The very latest version of TWS fixes this bug (see the build below in the 2nd post). The bug occurs in all prior versions. Unfortunately when I called yesterday to report it the support person did not know of this fix. Today's support person did know about it.

Original message:
This post is only for those who use the IB TWS order application (both live and simulator). I thought I would pass it on for any needing to switch back and forth between both live and simulator quickly.

Being only a semi automated trader, I use the IB TWS order application to submit my orders. Rather than use their API, I send keystrokes to control the TWS software (to open the bracket order and control it). It works great. It works so well that I have no interest in determining if I could use the TWS API. I use to be able to (on the same machine) bring both the stand-alone TWS simulator up and the stand-alone TWS live up and get basically the same data on both. I would switch to the simulator to test any changes to my software. I was able to switch back and forth within about 1 second using short cut keys in my database software. As of 2013/June/05 the simulator no longer provides data when the live TWS is running. This apparently is a bug in the IB system since the policy is that it is okay to get this data if it is the same machine.

Unfortunately switching back and forth now jumps from 1 second up to at least 5 minutes, but more likely 10 minutes. If I decide to not trust the simulator data it means I would need to do a backfill from the prior days MC database files which could take this up to 30 minutes. obviously this is not good for IB generating commission income nor for people trying to make money using the same approach I am using. What it probably means practically is I will to a lot more testing on Monday to be absolutely sure I have the bugs fixed and it is okay to switch to the live. Either way it means lost commissions from the IB people and missed live trades for the trader.

I am attempting to get this problem fixed.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 07 Jun 2013, edited 12 times in total.

bowlesj3

Re: Switching between IB TWS live to simulator is slow now.

Postby bowlesj3 » 07 Jun 2013

It is confirmed! The very latest version of TWS fixes this bug (see the build below). The bug occurs in all prior versions. Unfortunately when I called yesterday to report it the support person did not know of this fix. Today's support person did know about it.

Build 938.1h, May 1, 2013 12:58:57 PM Jolt Build 1.2.2, Jan 18, 2013 04:02:54 PM Nia Build 1.11.2, Jan 18, 2013 04:06:23 PM ModelNav Build 1.1.46, Jan 18, 2013 04:13:55 PM

Return to “MultiCharts”