Chart data stops updating

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
tradetree

Chart data stops updating

Postby tradetree » 18 Jun 2013

I recently installed MC.net 8.5 My first week went well, and all charts updated with my live Rithmic data feed (I use the same feed for my current live trading platform). I am considering changing from a competitor to MC, so this is a test run. I have TF and YG as my two MC symbols. All was well until Sunday night. I restarted MC but could not get a consistent feed (it actually was all black and said "updating"). I then let it run all day today while I used my regular platform. At the end of the day I reviewed the data on my charts and it was not up to date (data was through yesterday). I checked the settings and all the chart settings were for data to be through today, 6/18/2013. I then restarted MC again just now, and it now updated to the end of the day without any setting changes. - Needless to say, this is very concerning. The main reason I'm considering changing from my current platform to MC, is stability. I know the Rithmic feed is not the problem source, because the other platform running on the same computer had not a single hitch today.

The other observation I can make is that Rithmic turns off and does maintenance every Sun evening. The other platform also has problems with this shutdown, but why? I am a software engineer and it drives me crazy to see such fragile coding. And it really is scary as a live trader to see the system not even recover with a reboot, or stop updating for no reason. Can you help explain this? My speculation is that something got corrupted in the data storage on Sun. and it never really recovered. This tells me the code is not robust; is there another conclusion?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Chart data stops updating

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Jun 2013

Hello tradetree,

Rithmic had data problems on their servers on Monday. Complete restart of MultiCharts and all of its processes was required after the issue has been resolved on Rithmic end. The same issue has been reported here and here.

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 20 Jun 2013

Ok, that is a relief. I have a couple of follow-up questions to feel confident when these types of events take place. What is the best verification that tick level real-time data is streaming into MC? For example, on another platform there is an "Orders" tab that gives constant updates of price for any selected instrument. This is a better/easier verification than opening a chart or DOM. I suppose the 1sec time counter in MC on the right side of the chart may also serve this purpose, but only if it stops updating with data loss.

Also, is there any kind of data connection loss alert you can setup to get a warning?
Hello tradetree,

Rithmic had data problems on their servers on Monday. Complete restart of MultiCharts and all of its processes was required after the issue has been resolved on Rithmic end. The same issue has been reported here and here.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Jun 2013

In MultiCharts data provider and broker connections are separate. You can see the status of the broker connection on the Trade Bar in MultiCharts.
Order and position tracker Logs tab shows the information on the trading events and messages received from broker.

As for the data connection - you can trace the connection status in QuoteManager Event Log. There is no other visual indication of the datafeed status similar to broker connection aside from a chart or DOM window.
Also, is there any kind of data connection loss alert you can setup to get a warning?
Please find a sample code checking for absence of realtime data here.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”