Wrong chart data displayed  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
lmrf77

Wrong chart data displayed

Postby lmrf77 » 29 Jun 2013

Hello MC,

I would like multicharts support to help me discovering what can I be doing wrong for the MC to display wrong data. I mean, the data recorded in the quote manager for a given instrument doesn't match in time with the data displayed on the charts.
When I have the MC open and receiving real time data for a few hours, the data is displayed correctly. But if I turn off the MC software and then open it again, it will display completely different bars. We know that in certain markets, for instance the ES futures, the closing price of the bars for every bar interval doesn't happen by chance, so it is very important for all the trading systems to have the MC operating at its best.
I am posting a file with four pictures to evidence what I am saying. For instance, check the end time of the bar signaled in the Pic1 (14:18 GMT or 08:18 Exchange Time) and compare with the last tick of the 18th minute of the 8th hour (Exchange Time) indicated in the Pic3 of the file attached. There is a big difference of the closing price. Compare also the Pic2 and Pic4. All the bars in the chart displayed are wrong.

Kind regards,

Luis Filipe

Attachments
pictures.zip
(348.95 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

TJ

Re: Wrong chart data displayed

Postby TJ » 29 Jun 2013

Hello MC,

I would like multicharts support to help me discovering what can I be doing wrong for the MC to display wrong data. I mean, the data recorded in the quote manager for a given instrument doesn't match in time with the data displayed on the charts.
When I have the MC open and receiving real time data for a few hours, the data is displayed correctly. But if I turn off the MC software and then open it again, it will display completely different bars. We know that in certain markets, for instance the ES futures, the closing price of the bars for every bar interval doesn't happen by chance, so it is very important for all the trading systems to have the MC operating at its best.
I am posting a file with four pictures to evidence what I am saying. For instance, check the end time of the bar signaled in the Pic1 (14:18 GMT or 08:18 Exchange Time) and compare with the last tick of the 18th minute of the 8th hour (Exchange Time) indicated in the Pic3 of the file attached. There is a big difference of the closing price. Compare also the Pic2 and Pic4. All the bars in the chart displayed are wrong.

Kind regards,

Luis Filipe
Who is your broker/data provider?

lmrf77

Postby lmrf77 » 01 Jul 2013

Hello TJ,

My broker and data provider is Interactive Brokers. Do I have to deactivate all the brokers except IB in the Quote Manager?

Kind regards and thanks for the quick reply.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Wrong chart data displayed  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Jul 2013

IB datafeed does not provide realtime minute data. In MultiCharts realtime minutes are built from ticks. They are not saved to the database because the bar can be different from the actual historical minute bar.
IB provides historical minute data. So MultiCharts requests the minute data from IB server next time you request a minute-based chart. That is why the realtime chart and historical charts can be different.
You can also use "collect rt data without plotting" feature of QuoteManager to save the realtime minute bars into the local database and avoid rebuilding realtime bars.

lmrf77

Postby lmrf77 » 01 Jul 2013

Hello Henry,

After using "collect rt data w/o plotting", the realtime ticks stored in the quote manager from previous sessions are not loaded to the chart. It still remains the historical minute data downloaded from IB. It only loaded todays session realtime ticks.

Kind regards,

Luis Filipe

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Jul 2013

You need to collect realtime minute bars, not ticks.

lmrf77

Postby lmrf77 » 04 Jul 2013

Hello Henry,

Well, I must say that my system performs very well based on realtime ticks, even if the resolution of my charts is minute. But not so well when the data displayed on the chart is the historical minute downloaded. The few ticks difference on the closing price of the bars makes a big difference on the signals generated and in system performance. Although in autotrading the data received will be correct, the system always needs some past bars, and if the historical data is not correct, it will generate erratic signals almost for sure. But if collecting realtime minute bars makes the MC displaying the same closing prices when I reopen it, so it is okay.
It's hard to understand why IB doesn't compile correct historical minute data based on tick data, shame on them. Although, I love IB.

Kind regards and thanks to all for your help.

Luis Filipe

Return to “MultiCharts”