NO IB historical data after refresh request

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Nick

NO IB historical data after refresh request

Postby Nick » 05 Feb 2007

Hi I downloaded the new version of Multicharts and opened some workspaces. So far so good but the data was up to date.

To test the backfill I hit ^R in a tick charts (it goes back 5 days).

MC cleared the chart but carried on plotting live data as it came in.

Lots of errors where reported as studies did not have enough data to plot. This should not happen until the refresh is complete.

Looking at the Quote manager event log there are no requests to the HDMS servers? I did not wait but it looks like something is broken.

Shutting the workspace and re-loading it and the chart still only had freshly arriving live data.

Re-Starting MC and it came up OK (but the data was in the disc cache).

It looks like something is not quite right ? Unless ther HDMS problem is fixed by not asking for data at all! :) :) :)

Cheers,
Nick.

Nick

OK what ever I do I can not get MC to request historical data. Did the wrong version get linked? This is pretty messed up.

Cheers,
Nick.

Chris

Postby Chris » 05 Feb 2007

OK what ever I do I can not get MC to request historical data. Did the wrong version get linked? This is pretty messed up.

Cheers,
Nick.
Same here, too. Tried to refresh the existing data and now nothing is happening.

Nick

Thanks to Kate and a couple of the devs who took a look at this remotely.

The solution is pretty simple actually! The contract description must match exactly the description you get if you use Add Symbol -> From Datasource. (i.e. the description returned by IB) an example is "USD MAR07 Futures ER2H7".

It's strange that live data does not require this but historical data does. The way i roll contracts I think is pretty common. I manually edit the contract specs. No problem now I know I will update the descriptions.

I can't help feeling that this is not a positive 'feature'. In the previous beta all the contract information was got from other fields namely Root Symbol and expiration. I am not quite sure why this has been changed in this beta. The information is available elsewhere after all.

Anyway thanks again for the help on this. As an aside I have had no pacing issues so far though at times things slow to 1 request every 10 seconds. I'll carry on checking that.

Chris

Postby Chris » 05 Feb 2007

Changing the symbol description worked for me, too. Thanks for helping me out.

Chris

Return to “MultiCharts”