Ascii mapping - resilience

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
fundjunkie

Ascii mapping - resilience

Postby fundjunkie » 21 Feb 2007

Hi,
I'm finding that ascii files I've had mapped for a while lose their mapping. I see that when i try to chart an instrument and get no data even though the target file is there and the QM linkage is there too. I have also seen in QM that the mapping can get lost (edit shows no data) and if I manually import he data back in (so I can see it in QM) it fails to load in the worksapce, saying once again "No Data". The only way to fix this, that I know of, is to delete the QM entry and recreate it. I object to thsi as I have hundreds of ascii files and rename them to have meaningful rather than symbolic names, I do not relish having to re-rename these files on a semi-regular basis,

This seems to affect all of my ascii files at some time or another and is really quite annoying. BTW, this problem has existed for along time. I was hoping some of the other ascii fixes would solve this but it seems they haven't.

Ascii mapping needs to be rock soild - I'm afraid it isn't. I think the problem is QM itself, but that's just an educated guess.

Thx
D

Kate

Postby Kate » 26 Feb 2007

What event precedes the ASCII mapping links lost?
Thank you.

fundjunkie

Postby fundjunkie » 26 Feb 2007

What event precedes the ASCII mapping links lost?
Thank you.
It's hard to say because there have been so many. QM or MC can hang for many reasons and I often have to spend time fixing these. Incrementally, things have improved hence my comment regarding linkages.

My basic point is that ascii links shouldn't be so fragile - that is a failing of the product. The data is still there and hasn't changed, and is stateless from what I can see. Maybe a "relink" option needs to be added to QM to fix links that have gone down.

Thx
D

neurotrader

Postby neurotrader » 26 Feb 2007

Regarding ascii mapping. I tried a few and when I load up the chart there is no data.

Checked the symbol and no data was imported when mapping done. Deleted symbol tried again but still no mapping possible.

The above was done over weekend in offline mode.

Today I repeated the above in online mode. Created the mapping and it worked. Data imported in mapping mode and charted

Hope the above helps to resolve the issue of mapping bug

Return to “MultiCharts”