Tick Count Down when using Trade Volume?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
RobotMan

Tick Count Down when using Trade Volume?

Postby RobotMan » 19 Apr 2007

I use 120 tick bars and set the "Build Volume On:" to "Trade Volume" (because I measure the actual contracts traded in an indicator). I would like to use a little text indicator I wrote for TS2000i that counts down the remaining ticks before the current bar close. I have it set up in the right margin, with a little "<" symbol and it follows the right hand price tick. I can't seem to get it to work in MC and I'm wondering if there is a way to reference "ticks" even though the symbol is set for Trade Volume? My only other alternative is to open another chart and set the "Build Volume On:" to "Tick Count", but I hope that I can avoid this!!

Thanks!
Bob Perry

ybfjax

Re: Tick Count Down when using Trade Volume?

Postby ybfjax » 20 Apr 2007

I use 120 tick bars and set the "Build Volume On:" to "Trade Volume" (because I measure the actual contracts traded in an indicator). I would like to use a little text indicator I wrote for TS2000i that counts down the remaining ticks before the current bar close. I have it set up in the right margin, with a little "<" symbol and it follows the right hand price tick. I can't seem to get it to work in MC and I'm wondering if there is a way to reference "ticks" even though the symbol is set for Trade Volume? My only other alternative is to open another chart and set the "Build Volume On:" to "Tick Count", but I hope that I can avoid this!!

Thanks!
Bob Perry
KwikPop also had something like this for TS8. It didn't matter what kind of chart you were drawing. It told you how much time was left or ticks remaining at the most recent bar exactly as bob described. It was a small arrow pointing at the most recent bar's last price. Then there was a number next to it that told you how many ticks or time were left.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 01 May 2007

Hi Josh,
Yes, I've seen it done in other programs. I use NT and it does it in the their Charting application (both volume count down and tick countdown). Which, by the way, is a very nice charting program. I am starting to learn C# and am thinking of porting my indicators over to NT and just trade from it alone. No more eSignal, No more TS, No more anything else. Free fast Data. Fast order processing.

I like to test new ideas, though, and it is so easy to do with Easylanguage. Literally, in just a few minutes, I can have something programmed and tweaking it in the charts. I would like to replace TS2000i but I don't like being handcuffed to TS Securities just to use TS 8. If I could use MultiCharts, I would purchase it and just say goodbye to TS, but it is definitely not ready quite yet. I would still need access to TS's programing commands dictionary (Easylanguage Dictionary) and Definitions help file if I wanted to do any programming in MC. Plus, after reading posts on this forum, it looks like a lot of the commands don't work yet anyway. I'm not putting it down. Beta is beta. Development is slow, methodical and the turnover on this forum happens faster than most people get to see the changes. What I have seen so far I like, but it has a ways to go to before I am ready for a long term relationship and giving up my worn out TS2000i. I have posted questions in other threads on this forum and don't get any answers. If there *were* answers, other members in the forum would be jumping all over them. It just means MC hasn't caught on yet as a mainstream charting program and doesn't yet have a hardcore following. Just guys like me and you that see the dry kindling and the sparks starting to fly. Programming MC at this stage is probably more a labor of love than a money maker. I follow the Omega List quite loyaly and hear about Wealth Lab, neoTicker, and other programs, but the one that i would expect to hear from, the one that everyone for years has been waiting for - MultiCharts - I never hear a peep. Believe me, before TS 6, 7, and 8, people were sceaming for a TS replacement. Every week I would hear rumors of the new EasyLanguage compatible, super program that was going to eat TS' lunch. Never happened. Too hard. Now, people have gone off and are using SC, eSignal Charting, Ensign, Metastock, among a dozen others and putting up with the canned indicators or getting someone else to program for them because they just couldn't move on from the Easylanguage mindset. Now, TS 8 seems to have its act together finally at $100/mo plus data. I'm wondering if Multicharts is the super program that could have kicked TS butt, except that it's too late and getting later.

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

Return to “MultiCharts”