Backing up and restoring data

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Nick

Backing up and restoring data

Postby Nick » 05 Sep 2007

With the impending new release I am preparing a backup machine in case things go horribly wrong (been there before :shock: ).

I copied the 3 database files from common files -> Ts support -> Databases however when I start MC there seems to be lots (maybe all) data missing? Any suggestions it is down loading now (complete with pacing violations!!!). Some of the history goes back years further I don't really want to lose it.

This procedure has always worked in the past keeping my laptop and desktop synchronized when travelling. Its kind of odd.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. It might be useful to have a sticky post with instructions for backing up and restoring user data (including templates which I always forget). Also I do not believe its in the help.

dupl

Postby dupl » 05 Sep 2007

I would be also interested in this backup procedure.

And keeping my laptop and desktop synchronized,... I did not install MC on my laptop until now, is this allowed? Have one MC on desktop an one on laptop?

Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 05 Sep 2007

I did not install MC on my laptop until now, is this allowed? Have one MC on desktop an one on laptop?
Thanks
Hello,

Yes, you can install MC on several computers. However, according to our policy, you can't run the software on several computers simultaneously. We monitor logins and terminate licenses for those users who violate this policy on a regular basis.

So make sure you log off before you run the software on the second machine.

Marina Pashkova

Re: Backing up and restoring data

Postby Marina Pashkova » 05 Sep 2007

With the impending new release I am preparing a backup machine in case things go horribly wrong (been there before :shock: ).

I copied the 3 database files from common files -> Ts support -> Databases however when I start MC there seems to be lots (maybe all) data missing? Any suggestions it is down loading now (complete with pacing violations!!!). Some of the history goes back years further I don't really want to lose it.

This procedure has always worked in the past keeping my laptop and desktop synchronized when travelling. Its kind of odd.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. It might be useful to have a sticky post with instructions for backing up and restoring user data (including templates which I always forget). Also I do not believe its in the help.
Please refer to this thread on instructions where the database is stored.
Also, please make sure that you place the copied database into the right location on your disc: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts\DataBases\

In a nutshell, what you need to do is copy the database from the location above and then place it into exactly the same location.

Nick

Postby Nick » 06 Sep 2007

Hi Maria,

Yes thats what I always do ...I travel regularly and often sync home to laptop or laptop to home. I haven't for a while as I have been mainly travelling since before the previous beta. its kind of odd. Have data base formats changed over the last couple of versions? Pretty sure that must be a no.

As an aside I am thinking of trying virtual machines (VMWare probably) to better manage myself and to test in a sandbox without having to mess with physical machines. I'm hoping that it will prevent the cruft that accumulates on all my machines!! I guess the official line is that is un-suported but wonder whether you or any of your customers have experience of this environment?

Cheers,
Nick

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 07 Sep 2007

Have data base formats changed over the last couple of versions? Pretty sure that must be a no.
Data base formats have not changed. The location of the files changed, but it happened several versions ago.
As an aside I am thinking of trying virtual machines (VMWare probably) to better manage myself and to test in a sandbox without having to mess with physical machines. I'm hoping that it will prevent the cruft that accumulates on all my machines!! I guess the official line is that is un-suported but wonder whether you or any of your customers have experience of this environment?
Our engineers have used MC on virtual machines and haven't had any problems so far.

Nick

Postby Nick » 11 Sep 2007

Ahh that's it the location has changed. My batch files have been busily backing up old data! It appears the version that changed did not move the old files bte Something as major as that should have major warnings!

Cheers.

Return to “MultiCharts”