Upticks, DownTicks, Building Volume On: ???

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
RobotMan

Upticks, DownTicks, Building Volume On: ???

Postby RobotMan » 15 Sep 2007

One of my current pet peaves (other than the Powerlanguage Editor - Grrrr!) is trying to write indicators on volume. They work in TS but do not work in MultiCharts. For example: Try to write anything with Upticks or Downticks, then specify that that the chart it will be used in "Building Volume On:" has "Tick Count" or "Trade Volume" selected. Now notice that it doesn't matter, the indicator is the same regardless of what you want to use. Just so you'll know, I use eSignal and only tested this on emini contracts. The .jpgs are of Russell2000 on 9/14/2007 in local PDT. I am using MC 2.1.928.1050.

If you select a "Tick" compression you will only be able to write indicators showing the actual number of contracts traded (up Volume and Down Volume) and not upticks or downticks (trades) for each bar.
If you select a "Contract" compression, you will only be able to write indicators showing (I am assuming) the actual number of contracts traded (up Volume and Down Volume) and not upticks or downticks (trades) for each bar.
If you select a "Minute" compression you will only be able to write indicators showing the total number of contracts traded (Total Volume) and not upticks or downticks *OR* Up Volume and Down Volume for each bar.

Although if you go into each chart and left click on any particular bar, it *will show* in the little data window, what you specified to bulid volume on (except in minute based charts, where it always show zero for building on "Tick Count" or Up Volume when building on "Trade Volume".

This is why no one can write a "Tick count down" text indicator on the right side of the charts showing when the tick based bar is about to close in Multicharts.
If you want to write an indicator comparing volume(contracts) to ticks(trades) (ie volume/ticks in a "Contract" based bar where Volume is a constant), it is not possible at this juncture of MC. At least for me, an intermediate EL programmer coming from TS2000i.

I have tried seaching this forum using key words of: upticks, downticks, volume, build Volume On: - I can't find anything more on this.
Am I wrong? Is there something I am missing? Is there some volume functions in MC I am not aware of? Is this the way MC was intended to be and I am just wrong headed?

Thanks,
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
Attachments
300Tick-TickCount.jpg
Compression: 300 Tick
Build Volume On: TickCount
(77.96 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
300Tick-TradeVol.jpg
Compression: 300 Tick
Build Volume On: TradeVol
(79.31 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
300Cnt-TickCount.jpg
Compression: 300 contract
Build Volume On: TickCount
(78.03 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
300Cnt-TradeVol.jpg
Compression: 300 contract
Build Volume On: TradeVol
(75.35 KiB) Downloaded 463 times

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 15 Sep 2007

OK, I just installed 2.1.976.1109. Lo and Behold, Tick and Contract charts are fixed! Minute charts still off. I love you guys.

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 18 Sep 2007

Hello,

The reason why the procedure you described does not work for minutes is that when minute resolutions are received from data providers they do not have tick count associated with them.

When you are talking about Tick and Contract charts, they are all based on ticks, so tick count is not a problem for those. As for minutes, tick count would only be available under the following conditions: real-time data from the provider are received as ticks and MultiCharts is plotting minutes based on those ticks.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 18 Sep 2007

Thanks, that makes sense.

~B

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 18 Sep 2007

You're welcome!

Return to “MultiCharts”