QM receives data even after the datafeed was deactivated

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
2haerim

QM receives data even after the datafeed was deactivated

Postby 2haerim » 01 Oct 2007

1. I opened the Data Sources window.
2. Select GlobalServer Supplier and "Deactivated". => This is confirmed by the symbol portfolio where the "Data Source" field becomes empty.
3. Click a GlobalServer symbol and Connect.

=> Now, QM receives data from GlobalServer.

I thought "Deactivation" would not allow receiving data nor even Connect.

Am I wrong?

Actually, I am not sure what differences between "Activate" and "Deactivate" exist.

Please explain what I can and what I can't when "Deactivated".

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Oct 2007

Hello Haerim,

When a data source is disabled the data from this source cannot be received. If you look at the logs in QuoteManger closely you will see that there are attempts to connect and request data but no data is actually received.

However, you raised a good point: once a data source is disabled you should not be able to go as far as connect this symbol and get QuoteManager to try to connect and request data. Right now we are working to iron out these discrepences.

Thank you for drawing our attention to this issue.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 03 Oct 2007

When a data source is disabled the data from this source cannot be received. If you look at the logs in QuoteManger closely you will see that there are attempts to connect and request data but no data is actually received.

However, you raised a good point: once a data source is disabled you should not be able to go as far as connect this symbol and get QuoteManager to try to connect and request data. Right now we are working to iron out these discrepences.

Thank you for drawing our attention to this issue.
Are you sure?

What do you mean by "there are attempts to connect and request data but no data is actually received" in your answer?

Are you saying that the datafeed is actually "Deactivated" but the QM only displays wrong information? If that is what you meant, I think it is not true.

When I "Connect" the MARKETS symbol after the GlobalServer had been "Deactivated", QM's portfolio window shows the MARKETS symbol is changed from offline to online and then the counter is keep increasing. I double checked the "Edit Data" and definitely the ticks are coming into QM's database.

And the following log is copied from the GlobalServer[tsServer].log file in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\TS Support\Logs\TSSupplier" folder. I see clearly Data request/Connect/Quotes Downloaded.

[10/04/2007 05:11:31] Data request for MARKETS 1 Tick Trade [10/03/2007 20:11:31 - 10/04/2007 15:00:00] (Id= 4)
[10/04/2007 05:11:31] Connecting to real-time data for MARKETS;Trade;Tick;1;KSE;FUT;;
[10/04/2007 05:11:31] Sending MARKETS 1 Tick Trade history to data server: 322 quotes downloaded (Id= 4)
[10/04/2007 05:11:31] Data request for MARKETS 1 Tick Trade [10/03/2007 20:11:31 - 10/04/2007 14:59:00] (Id= 5)
[10/04/2007 05:11:32] Sending MARKETS 1 Tick Trade history to data server: 322 quotes downloaded (Id= 5)

The only difference between "Activate" and "Deactivate" is that QM's portfolio shows "Data Source" or not. No other differences at all. That is, "Deactivate" does NOT deactivate the datafeed at all except changing "Data Source" column to an empty string in QM.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 04 Oct 2007

Dear Haerim,

When I reproduced the problem according to your descriptions no data was received in QuoteManager but there were connection attempts and data requests.

However, the situation you are describing is quite possible because as I mentioned before there are a number of discrepancies involved in deactivating data sources including the possibility to connect symbols for the deactivated data source.

We are working to solve those problems.

Return to “MultiCharts”