OpenTick Exchanges

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Gann_Man

OpenTick Exchanges

Postby Gann_Man » 20 Oct 2007

QuoteManager v2.1.999.999
-->Tools-->Exchanges & ECNs-->Exchange & ECN List

What happened to ALL the OpenTick Exchanges?
A
AO
B
BO
BT
C
CO
D
DT
EC
EM
HT
IO
M
MT
MX
N
NO
OC
P
PO
Q
S
T
TO
U
UT
V
VN
W
X
XO
ar
at
br
bt
cm
ct
ec
em
is
mx
no

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 22 Oct 2007

Hi Gann_Man,

This is the codes OpenTick uses for their exchanges. Exchange codes and the exchanges they stand for can be found on their website: http://www.opentick.com/dokuwiki/doku.p ... ange_codes

Regards.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 24 Oct 2007

Thanks to Marina for posting the link to the OT Exchange list.

It would be a useful feature, IMO, if MC could (optionally?) present the actual Exchange names, rather than cryptic codes, at points where the user is expected to make a choice of, or enter one.

In principle, why should the user have to surf over to some other web page, or consult a printout taped to their monitor, when the information could be conveniently presented by the computer, by MC itself.

As always, the MC program could only become more attractive by taking care to make life as simple as possible for the user.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 24 Oct 2007

Hello MC_Prog,

Your request is totally reasonable and understandable. But unfortunately there is little we can do about it: exchanges are an integral part of the data received from OpenTick.

The descriptions for those abbreviations can be entered in Exchanges and ECN's in QuoteManager, but this solution is as cumbersome as having to look for the exchanges on OpenTick website.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 25 Oct 2007

I painstakingly created these exchanges the last time.
But when i upgrade MC, are my settings were lost.

IF MC is not going to create the exchanges, can you guys allow us to export and import the list of exchanges ?

I don't want to recreate all the exchanges with the session start and end time everytime i upgrade.

thanks !!!!

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 25 Oct 2007

Hello,

Did you loose all the symbols after the upgrade too? The thing is that exchanges are part of the same bulk of data as symbols and if you lost exchanges then all the symbols should be gone as well.

Also, when uninstalling the older version, did you leave the field Remove user's data from the computer checked or unchecked? To have all your settings in place (workspaces, indicators, databases) this field must be left unchecked.

If you want to make sure that no data is lost in case something goes wrong during updgrades just create a backup copy of the database.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 25 Oct 2007

Hello,

Did you loose all the symbols after the upgrade too? The thing is that exchanges are part of the same bulk of data as symbols and if you lost exchanges then all the symbols should be gone as well.

Also, when uninstalling the older version, did you leave the field Remove user's data from the computer checked or unchecked? To have all your settings in place (workspaces, indicators, databases) this field must be left unchecked.

If you want to make sure that no data is lost in case something goes wrong during updgrades just create a backup copy of the database.
I did not lose all my symbols.. just the exchanges....
Where are the exchange information stored ?
Is it stored in 1 of the 3 databases ? Or is it in some file somewhere ?
Let me know so that i can back them up next time....

thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 26 Oct 2007

Hello,

Exchanges information is not stored separately nor can it be backed up separately.

We are going to check, though, how the situation can be possible when exchange settings are lost while the symbols are preserved.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 26 Oct 2007

Your request is totally reasonable and understandable. But unfortunately there is little we can do about it: exchanges are an integral part of the data received from OpenTick.
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I don't understand this response. Dialog boxes in MC are not drawn by the OpenTick feed, they are drawn by MC code, yes?

So, when(ever) you draw a dialog box with a cryptic exchange code, do a lookup and draw an additonal field with the real exchange name, taken from a text file that you distribute with MC, which can be edited or updated if ever needed.

If I've missed your point, please tell me what it is that I'm missing. Thanks!

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 26 Oct 2007

marina,

Why can't Multicharts create the exchanges automatically ?
Since i add the opentick symbols via opentick source and not "Manually".
As you indicated earlier, you already know the list of exchange codes from opentick website, can't you just create the exchanges accordingly if there are no conflict with existing exchanges ?

thanks

Gann_Man

Postby Gann_Man » 26 Oct 2007

If Multicharts expects the end user to create all the OpenTick Exchanges before being able to use the datafeed then the tutorial for OpenTick needs to be updated.

http://www.tssupport.com/products/multi ... entick.htm

I think Multicharts should provide these exchanges as a built-in feature for the end user.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 29 Oct 2007

Tssupport, any response to our thoughts?

thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Oct 2007

Displaying a list of exchanges to match the abbreviations provided by OpenTick is possible. However, it would be complicated from the point of view of the program's architecture. The architecture doesn't provide for this option, so we'll have to create a separate solution which might take some time. We will definitely think about how this feature could be implemented

Regards.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 31 Oct 2007

However, it would be complicated from the point of view of the program's architecture.
Don't ya hate when that happens? :(

Thanks for giving this consideration for the future. Accessing multiple data providers is a major positive feature of MC, and enhancements that make the inherently complex issue of dealing with multiple protocols, symbologies, names, etc. smooth and simple for the user will always be powerful value-adds for the program.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 01 Nov 2007

Hi MC_Prog,

You are right and we will try to implement this feature as soon as it becomes possible.

Thank you.

Return to “MultiCharts”