A ghost is scrolling the chart window

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dupl

A ghost is scrolling the chart window

Postby dupl » 09 Nov 2007

Hello.
For example:
I have a Workspace window with two Chart windows as Tick Bar, so they scroll constantly rightwards.

BUT, if I change something in an other Workspace window on a chart and go back to my two Chart windows as Tick Bar, than they are not in the present, they are in the past and I must scroll them all the time to the present.
Is it a ghost. :roll:

See screenshot:
Attachments
scrolling.PNG
(10.25 KiB) Downloaded 2472 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 09 Nov 2007

Hi dupl,

To have the charts scroll as they are updating in real-time make sure the scroll bar on the chart stays in the far-right position. In your screenshot it's not in the far-right position that is why you can't see the chart moving.

Switching between different workspaces does not affect chart scrolling.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Best regards.

dupl

Postby dupl » 09 Nov 2007

In your screenshot it's not in the far-right position that is why you can't see the chart moving.
Yes, but it was in the far-right position!
And after Switching between different workspaces AND changing something in the other workspaces affected this chart scrolling.
I have this very often, it is repeatable.

Thanks

MKlein

Postby MKlein » 09 Nov 2007

I have this very often, it is repeatable.
I also observe this problem in MCFX. It seems to be linked to the use of the "tracking time and price" option - I haven't noticed the effect when this option isn't selected, but neither can I produce it repeatably.

M Klein

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 09 Nov 2007

Hi MKlein,

do you have this problem with the scroll bar placed in the far-right position?

MKlein

Postby MKlein » 10 Nov 2007

do you have this problem with the scroll bar placed in the far-right position?
I'll try to clarify what I'm observing.

I have several workspaces running simultaneously, and each workspace has several charts. Normally I leave the scroll bar at the far right in every chart, and tile the charts vertically. If I scroll back to look at historical data, I always return the scroll bar to the far right position when I've finished.

Normally I don't use the "tracking time and price" option. However, if I do, I sometimes observe the effect that "dupl" describes. That is, after using one workspace, when I return to another workspace where all the scroll bars had previously been left at the far right, I find that those scroll bars have now all moved.

Try this:

- open several workspaces, each containing several charts

- set all scroll bars to the far right (this is default)

- select "show cross" and "tracking time and price"

- maximise one longer-term chart, and draw a trend
line on it somewhere toward the left

- restore the chart to its former size

you should now observe that the scroll bars of all the charts in all the workspaces have moved leftward.

Nick

Postby Nick » 10 Nov 2007

Sometimes my scroll bar moves by itself from the far right position. I do not currently use linked cursors so its not that. Can't exactly pinpoint what causes it but its usually after 'doing stuff' that it happens. It does not necessarily happen in the window that I was 'doing stuff'. Sorry I can't be more help with exactly what causes it but can confirm that it happens to me too.

Cheers,
Nick.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 10 Nov 2007

Looks like what I was trying to describe here

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=14646

Hasn't happened again for me since the last version.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 13 Nov 2007

Hi everybody,

Thank you for drawing our attention to the problem.

We will try to reproduce it on our end and will let you know about the results.

Best regards.

Nick

Postby Nick » 14 Nov 2007

It might be my imagination but I increased the right hand spacing to 5 bars on some of my charts. Seems to happen a bit more often but I may be imagining it.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 14 Nov 2007

Try this:

- open several workspaces, each containing several charts

- set all scroll bars to the far right (this is default)

- select "show cross" and "tracking time and price"

- maximise one longer-term chart, and draw a trend
line on it somewhere toward the left

- restore the chart to its former size

you should now observe that the scroll bars of all the charts in all the workspaces have moved leftward.
Hi MKlein,

I followed the steps above but still have not been able to reproduce the problem. No scroll bars moved.

Do you always have scroll bars moving under the conditions above?

Regards.

MKlein

Postby MKlein » 14 Nov 2007

I followed the steps above but still have not been able to reproduce the problem. No scroll bars moved.

Do you always have scroll bars moving under the conditions above?
Yes. This is in MCFX Basic, the latest official release: 1.0.819.1048

The effect is repeatable - whenever I draw a trendline on one chart when "tracking time and price" is set, all the scroll bars move on all the charts. In fact drawing a trend line isn't necessary, and the steps of maximizing and minimizing a chart aren't necessary. It seems that just left-clicking on a chart will make all the scroll bars in all the charts move when "tracking time and price" .

This seems like a deliberate feature (although it's not documented as such as far as I can see). All the scroll bars in all the charts move to the same point in time. If that point is outside their range, they jump to one extreme or the other. Returning one scroll bar to the far right and left-clicking on the chart returns all scroll bars in all workspaces to the far right.

M Klein

dupl

Postby dupl » 14 Nov 2007

Hello Marina Pashkova,

I can not reproduce it systematically, but it happen a lot of times in MC, if you do configurations. Like insert new chartwindows, symbols etc.

Than the scroll bar at the far right of my realtime charts went left (sometimes only a little bit, sometimes half the timeaxis and sometimes to the beginning of the chart).

Just do some "configurations" and than you will see the result: the scroll bar at the far right of all (realtime) charts goes left.

PS: Mostly i use IB data, sometimes eSignal.
MC 2.1.999.999

Nick

Postby Nick » 21 Nov 2007

Something that often causes it is right clicking on a drawn line to select it and editing its properties. It sometimes scrolls the chart one bar to the left.

Cheers.

dupl

Postby dupl » 30 Nov 2007

...the scroll bar at the far right of my realtime charts went left (sometimes only a little bit, sometimes half the timeaxis and sometimes to the beginning of the chart).

Now it bothers me every day... :cry:

TJ

Postby TJ » 30 Nov 2007

dupl

Postby dupl » 03 Dec 2007

For me it looks like a different problem.

...the scroll bar at the far right of my realtime charts went left (sometimes only a little bit, sometimes half the timeaxis and sometimes to the beginning of the chart).

Now it bothers me every day... :cry:

Nick

Postby Nick » 03 Dec 2007

They look very similar though with the other problem it scrolls back to the correct place giving the 'juddering'

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Dec 2007

Dear TJ,

These problems aren't related, and as I mentioned before the one from the earlier thread is a known bug which will be fixed.

Regards.

dupl

Postby dupl » 05 Dec 2007

Marina Pashkova,

could your reproduce it?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 05 Dec 2007

Hello dupl,

We have reproduced the random behaviour of the scroll bar when simply switching between multiple windows. So we can start working on the fix.

As for the other problems described in the thread, it would be really helpful if you contacted us through LiveChat and let us see what exactly it looks like - via HelpDesk.

Thank you.

2haerim

This problem is repeatable when ...

Postby 2haerim » 05 Dec 2007

I realize that the problems dupl and Mklein pointed are the same problem I reported in the following link.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4517

With Tracking features on, switching/mouse-clicking from higher frame chart to lower frame chart would move the scroll bar of the lower frame chart to the left if the click point of the higher frame is not available in the lower time frame. Then MC tries to show the tracking cross pointer on both charts and naturally scrolls the lower frame chart to the left. But from that time on, the lower frame chart does not update nor the price/indicator markers do not update either. The lower frame chart looks like in "offline" mode. You can check by plotting 1 min chart window and 1 tick chart window. Turn on the Tracking Time feature or Tracking Time and Price feature on. Click the mouse back and forth between two charts. You will find 1 tick chart stops scrolling and updating when you click the 1 min chart in the area where the time is not shown in the 1 tick chart. MC just scrolls the 1 tick chart to the left to show the Tracking cross pointer. Then MC stops updating the 1 tick chart because the scroll bar is already moved left. To make the 1 tick chart updates again, I have to 1)click it and 2)drag the scroll bar to the right most side of the chart or press End key and 3) go back to the 1 min window if I want to keep working on 1 min chart.

This is very annonying/embarsssing and I provided a suggestion how MC would behave better in the above post.

Please consider implementing my suggestion or any better idea, if any.

2haerim

Is this undesirable behavior confirmed as a bug too?

Postby 2haerim » 08 Dec 2007

I don't see any comment on my previous post.
In case you missed it, I just want to remind you ...

dupl

Postby dupl » 22 Jan 2008

Hello dupl,

We have reproduced the random behaviour of the scroll bar when simply switching between multiple windows. So we can start working on the fix.

As for the other problems described in the thread, it would be really helpful if you contacted us through LiveChat and let us see what exactly it looks like - via HelpDesk.

Thank you.
Hi hope it will be fixed in the next update, please. It is disturbing me every day.

Thanks

dupl

Postby dupl » 26 Feb 2008

Hello,

has the latest Beta fixed this problem?

Thanks

dupl

Postby dupl » 28 Feb 2008

Did someone test it with the latest Beta?

Thanks

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 29 Feb 2008

We made some adjustments that should prevent the problem, but I’m not sure it will resolve it. Please test.

dupl

Postby dupl » 22 Apr 2008

We made some adjustments that should prevent the problem, but I’m not sure it will resolve it. Please test.
I have still this problem. :(

It bothers no one except me?
E.g., a tickchart with ESM8 (bid) and YM Jun08 (ask), datasource IB, is scrolled backwards if I use some other Workspaces and came back to this first Workspaces!

We discussed it in details on page 1
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4491&start=0

Thanks

dupl

Postby dupl » 24 Apr 2008

It makes me really testy.

Dozens a day I have scroll to the reight, if I jump from one Workspace to another and did change something, somewhat...

See the screenshot, one time it scrolled complete to the left, somtimes only a bit... but far enough that it is not more realtime! :x
Attachments
ghostly-backsrolling.PNG
(4.26 KiB) Downloaded 2435 times

dupl

Postby dupl » 09 May 2008

Hello,

I need a option to fix a realtime chart to the far right position!

It worry, angers every day! :idea:

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 15 May 2008

Hi dupl,

The problem is that we've only been able to reproduce this bug once. After that one time we've failed to reproduce it again.

Therefore, I would really appreciate it if you could contact us via LiveChat to show the scroll bar moving on your PC.

Thank you!

2haerim

I've posted how to reproduce this ghost scrolling problem

Postby 2haerim » 15 May 2008

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.ph ... 619bf26c1b

Find posts by 2haerim from the above link. I think I had already posted how to reproduce the scrolling problem.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 15 May 2008

Hi dupl,

I tried reproducing this problem in the latest release and found no problems with the bars scrolling.

In case you still have the problem on your end, please let me know or contact our customer support reps via LiveChat

dupl

Postby dupl » 15 May 2008

Marina,

thanks maybe I found it! :idea:

If I use the option "Show Cross" and "Track Time and Price".

I made on an other PC with MC Demo two Workspaces,
1. Workspace 2 chart windows, one with ES Future, one with YM Future. Both linked with red color and 1 Tick timeframe.
2. Workspace one chart window with ES Future and YM Future. Both linked with blue color and 1 Hour timeframe.

Than use "Show Cross" and "Track Time and Price" and scroll the chart window in 2. Workspace.
It will scroll also the 2 chart windows in 1. Workspace to the far left!
But not every time... :? I don't know what must be done else, increasing-decreasing Bar Spacing... Insert a Symbol, a study....?

I will work now without "Track Time and Price", maybe it will solve it.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 May 2008

Marina,

thanks maybe I found it! :idea:

If I use the option "Show Cross" and "Track Time and Price".

I made on an other PC with MC Demo two Workspaces,
1. Workspace 2 chart windows, one with ES Future, one with YM Future. Both linked with red color and 1 Tick timeframe.
2. Workspace one chart window with ES Future and YM Future. Both linked with blue color and 1 Hour timeframe.

Than use "Show Cross" and "Track Time and Price" and scroll the chart window in 2. Workspace.
It will scroll also the 2 chart windows in 1. Workspace to the far left!
But not every time... :? I don't know what must be done else, increasing-decreasing Bar Spacing... Insert a Symbol, a study....?

I will work now without "Track Time and Price", maybe it will solve it.
Hi dupl,

I'm afraid there's been a misunderstanding all along. What you are describing is not a bug but the intended MC behavior. With the option 'Track Time and Price' enabled, whenever you point the cursor to a certain bar on one chart it will automatically scroll the other chart as well - to show the bar with the same time. And when the chart is scrolled to the left, you will no longer see it moving - because it's supposed to be showing the chosen point.

Hope the above clarifies the situation.

Regards.

dupl

Postby dupl » 16 May 2008

:idea: :D
Oh my god! Why nobody explained me my misunderstanding before? Or maybe because my English is not so god!

This was the ghost:
With the option 'Track Time and Price' enabled, whenever you point the cursor to a certain bar on one chart it will automatically scroll the other chart as well - to show the bar with the same time. And when the chart is scrolled to the left, you will no longer see it moving - because it's supposed to be showing the chosen point.

Hope the above clarifies the situation.
Thanks a lot!

But why is it ('Track Time and Price') intended to all open Workspaces, so that all charts are scrolled... to show the bar with the same time?
Makes this sense? For one Workspace I understand.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 16 May 2008

With the option 'Track Time and Price' enabled, whenever you point the cursor to a certain bar on one chart it will automatically scroll the other chart as well - to show the bar with the same time. And when the chart is scrolled to the left, you will no longer see it moving - because it's supposed to be showing the chosen point.
I understand it is supposed to be showing the chosen point. But, at the same time we would like to see the current price marker showing the realtime tick prices. Currently to make the chart move and price markers display the realtime values, we have to drag the scroll bars to the farthest right. Since most users do not realize that the scroll bar had moved to the far left, they quite often get surprised at the wrong price and chart values until they finally realize what is going on.

So, I suggest the following:

When the scroll bar has to move to the far left, display a smail subchart window (for example, a magnifer window as in SnagIt program) and show the chosen point while the main chart keep displaying the realtime chart and price values. That way we can both watch the chosen point and the realtime valuse at the same time and we won't get embarrased at the wrong chart and value any more.

Simply, in most cases, it is enough to show where is the chosen point in the history chart range. So keep the main chart window as it is but display the chosen point in another window. Maybe the main chart window can be split in two vertical panes. In the left pane, display the chosen point and in the right one keep the main chart as it is.

I hope this make sense to others too.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 May 2008

Thank you for the suggestion HaeRim. It will be added to our wish-list.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”