New, Beefy Mac to be purchased - how well does MC run?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
JGSmith

New, Beefy Mac to be purchased - how well does MC run?  [SOLVED]

Postby JGSmith » 29 Aug 2013

Hello

I am looking to make two significant changes.
1.) Switch to MultiCharts
2.) Switch to Mac

I need to know what kinds of experiences that people are having with using MC on a Mac using some form of VM software.

It appears that people are able to run TS with no issues using Parallels or Bootcamp.

How is the processor speed in the VM software? I will also be running fairly hefty backtesting and optimizations. Are there issues with these in the Mac environment?

The specs that I am looking to use are:

iMac 27"
3.4 GHz Quad core
i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9 GHz
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR SD Ram - 4x8GB

Is this enough "computer" to run it effectively? Is it more than I would need for what I plan to do?

Would Parallels be recommended with Win 8 or a different VM software?

I greatly appreciate any help people are able to offer.

StefanoSF

Re: New, Beefy Mac to be purchased - how well does MC run?

Postby StefanoSF » 29 Aug 2013

I have MC 8.7 installed on may MacBook Pro as a backup testing machine. I use Parallels and have Windows 7 installed in my Application Folder.

Although it works "OK" i would not recommend my configuration for serious traders as both Windows and Mac OS become very sluggish. You will get frustrated. However, if you don't switch between the two operating systems often/ever it works better then just OK. If I were to install windows again on my Mac, I would install Windows into a Bootcamp drive partition and run it natively. This would allows your Mac to dedicate all it's processing power and memory to Windows. I believe if you use this Bootcamp configuration that you can still launch MacOS and even use Parallels to access Windows in the Bootcamp partition.

Xyzzy

Re: New, Beefy Mac to be purchased - how well does MC run?

Postby Xyzzy » 01 Sep 2013

+1 for using Bootcamp. I'm running MultiCharts on a Windows 8 partition on my Macbook Pro. It works great -- you'll be running MultiCharts at native speed, rather than being emulated using Parallels.

Return to “MultiCharts”