Interactive Brokers

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
zanyman

Interactive Brokers

Postby zanyman » 01 Sep 2013

i am a new trader please bear with me. :)

the connection is properly setup and the trading strategy is properly setup. in backtesting it shows a profit of about 2700 and with optimise it comes very close to default parameters - the technical indicators are MACD

but when i run it on live account - ie paper trading account the last point of the price line keeps wriggling causing crossovers to occur when they should not resulting is huge ( paper ) losses.

what am i doing wrong ?

the exact setup : multi charts .net 8.7 x64 SE, IB TWS 939.3 and MACD with standard parameters

the instrument being traded in NIFTY on NSE

if you need any more information i will gladly put it in the thread.

zanyman

Re: Interactive Brokers

Postby zanyman » 01 Sep 2013

seeing the tick data with AB / multicharts results in very small lines scattered and not a single line as expected.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 02 Sep 2013

in backtesting it shows a profit of about 2700 and with optimise it comes very close to default parameters - the technical indicators are MACD

but when i run it on live account - ie paper trading account the last point of the price line keeps wriggling causing crossovers to occur when they should not resulting is huge ( paper ) losses.
See Backtesting vs Live Trading.

zanyman

Postby zanyman » 04 Sep 2013

anything that works in back testing mode never works the real time data!
i would like to know are automated trading strategies ever successful.

does anyone have any pointers ?

please suggest,
which signals should i use for profit in the real world ie with the real time streaming quotes ?

i hope that many people on this forum have been using multicharts for a tidy profit every day using automated trading. any pointer would be greatly appreciated

FistPeso

Postby FistPeso » 05 Sep 2013

anything that works in back testing mode never works the real time data!
i would like to know are automated trading strategies ever successful.

does anyone have any pointers ?

please suggest,
which signals should i use for profit in the real world ie with the real time streaming quotes ?

i hope that many people on this forum have been using multicharts for a tidy profit every day using automated trading. any pointer would be greatly appreciated
Zanyman,
Back testing does work and is necessary for success. However, you are testing a strategy against historical data. History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes. So the key is finding a successful strategy that is not optimized to a particular data series.

Does automated trading work, the lit market is dominated by automated trading.

Personally I don't use MultiCharts for auto-trading, but I intend to use it as a backup trading tool to other systems.

If you are going to be a trader, you need to figure out a strategy that works for you as a trader and what you like to trade. Sounds cruel, but if you are committing capital to a venture that you don't understand, you are wasting your time and money. Along with your trading strategy, you need a risk management system to protect your capital.

Good luck.

zanyman

Postby zanyman » 09 Sep 2013

am trying a simple moving average strategy with crossover ( 9 & 5 ) automated strategy over a minute time frame

back testing shows a profit of $45 for one contract bought and sell over one day
will try this on the paper trading account tomorrow thanks for help everyone.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”