how to set the number of cores to use  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
faschim

how to set the number of cores to use  [SOLVED]

Postby faschim » 09 Sep 2013

Is there a way to set the maximum number of processor cores that multicharts will use. For example in optimization. I want to limit it to a value less then the number of actual cores.

Xyzzy

Re: how to set the number of cores to use

Postby Xyzzy » 09 Sep 2013

I don't think this is currently possible. (Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.) However, it would be a very nice feature to have.

I'll often be doing a lengthy optimization in Portfolio Backtester, and all of my cores are pegged at 100% usage. This makes my computer rather unresponsive if I'm trying to multitask and do something else while the optimization is ongoing.

Perhaps MultiCharts could add some sort of option for how many cores it will use when backtesting. E.g., there could be a "low power" mode where it would only use 50% or 75% of your cores. That way, the optimization would take longer to complete, but your computer would be more responsive for other tasks in the meantime.

Would anyone else find this useful? If so, I could submit a feature request.

faschim

Postby faschim » 09 Sep 2013

I seem to recall there was some discussion about this a couple of years ago and that at least at that time one could change a Registry setting for Multicharts/TSSuport to control the number of cores. However I can't find the previous posts nor can I find any such setting in the registry so perhaps I am mistaken.

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 Sep 2013

I have never tried this... let us know if it works.
http://masolution.blogspot.ca/2008/01/h ... -core.html

evdl

Postby evdl » 12 Sep 2013

For optimization with ADE, I used to limit the cores with the registry file I received from Henry. Look at this thread: http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/v ... ore#p52794

If you only want to keep your pc responsive, you don't need to limit the cores. You go to the taskmanager "Ctrl+Shift+Esc". find the multicharts process that is doing the optimization. This can be multicharts64.exe or MCPortfolio.exe. Select this and click right mouse. Then select the option set affinity. Then you will see all the processor your pc has. Then deselect one of the processors. I got 8, so deselect 1. Then your pc will have one processor for other tasks.

You can select and deselect this while running MC. You don't have to restart or something.
Attachments
Processor affinity.png
(16.66 KiB) Downloaded 654 times

faschim

Postby faschim » 13 Sep 2013

Thanks! This is very helpful

Return to “MultiCharts”