Auto Trading With Interactive Brokers

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tony

Auto Trading With Interactive Brokers

Postby tony » 24 Sep 2013

Has anyone traded with IB overnight long enough to understand the protocol for dealing with the daily logout IB requires and their daily server reboot. I spoke with a tech support person at IB who said you need to logout as soon as you can AFTER their nightly server reboot. But he was a bit unclear as to why and if you need to logout before the server reboot.

I've also read on other forums of those autotrading overnight who do not logout at all and just keep changing the scheduled logout time to trick IB into never logging out.

From what I understand the period from when the server reboots to when you log out and back in you risk bad fills with IB.

Would love to hear some real world examples of how traders address these two events. Thank You -

TJ

Re: Auto Trading With Interactive Brokers

Postby TJ » 24 Sep 2013

Has anyone traded with IB overnight long enough to understand the protocol for dealing with the daily logout IB requires and their daily server reboot. I spoke with a tech support person at IB who said you need to logout as soon as you can AFTER their nightly server reboot. But he was a bit unclear as to why and if you need to logout before the server reboot.
I've also read on other forums of those autotrading overnight who do not logout at all and just keep changing the scheduled logout time to trick IB into never logging out.
From what I understand the period from when the server reboots to when you log out and back in you risk bad fills with IB.
Would love to hear some real world examples of how traders address these two events. Thank You -
Google for twsstart.

tony

Postby tony » 24 Sep 2013

I know their reboot window for all three "zones" and the US is 11:45 midnight to 30 or so after midnight. But it is not a fixed time. And I'm trying to understand how their reboot and their required logout every 24 hours correlate. IB says (just one person) that if not done in the correct sequence you can get bad data and or bad fills.

tony

Postby tony » 27 Sep 2013

Here is what I have been doing this week and seems to be working fine. At 12:11-12:14AM IB reboots their US server(s) at least that is what time it has been happening this week. If I look at the log on auto-trading I see the lost connection. Then the connection is re-established after the server(s) are rebooted. I then go in and manually log out of IB and log back in. I have auto-logout set to a time that happens after the servers are rebooted and manually adjust so it actually never logs me out unless I do it manually. If that makes any sense.

So bottom line is I let the servers reboot and then shortly thereafter manually log out of TWS and right back in. I also do a data/chart reset (ctrl R) every session. So far so good.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 04 Oct 2013

Here is what I have been doing this week and seems to be working fine. At 12:11-12:14AM IB reboots their US server(s) at least that is what time it has been happening this week. If I look at the log on auto-trading I see the lost connection. Then the connection is re-established after the server(s) are rebooted. I then go in and manually log out of IB and log back in. I have auto-logout set to a time that happens after the servers are rebooted and manually adjust so it actually never logs me out unless I do it manually. If that makes any sense.

So bottom line is I let the servers reboot and then shortly thereafter manually log out of TWS and right back in. I also do a data/chart reset (ctrl R) every session. So far so good.
As suggest by user TJ: TWSSTART will reboot TWS automatically whatever reason TWS is not loaded.

Return to “MultiCharts”