How to deal with Instruments with no data?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
AntiMatter

How to deal with Instruments with no data?

Postby AntiMatter » 26 Sep 2013

Examples might include new issues such as IPOs.

The chart will display "No data". This is (of course) the only appropriate status.

However, if we apply two Instruments to a series:
#1 has some data
#2 has no data

Then the status is still "No data". We cannot even see the data for the first instrument! Is there any way around this? Furthermore, it is not possible to turn on "Automate Order Execution" when an instrument has no data.

AntiMatter

Re: How to deal with Instruments with no data?

Postby AntiMatter » 01 Oct 2013

Anyone?

Another example of an instrument with no data is simply one in which the timeframe does not yet have any data.
If there is no way to readily deal with this situation, can it please be added as a fix for future issues?

e.g. if I chart a symbol with data (e.g. something frequently traded like the SPY), and also chart something with no data (e.g. an IPO), then I should still be able to see the data for SPY, rather than a blank chart with "No data"

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 14 Oct 2013

Hello AntiMatter,

There is no way to run a signal on a chart with "no data". Signals are calculated over the bars of the chart. If there are no bars - there are no signal calculations.
If you have a data series with "No Data" on the chart and this data series is not going to receive any data - you can just delete it from the chart to have the other data series visible.

AntiMatter

Postby AntiMatter » 14 Oct 2013

The situation I am dealing with here is that there is no data *yet* - but we do definitely expect data. Thus "just delete it from the chart" isn't really ideal for my use.... But never-mind. Thanks anyway.

Return to “MultiCharts”