LSE - Correct BigPointValue?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
AntiMatter

LSE - Correct BigPointValue?

Postby AntiMatter » 30 Sep 2013

I am trading both US and UK equities. Unlike the US, stocks on the LSE are denominated in pence.

I load an LSE instrument (e.g. VOD) from Interactive Brokers, and then select "Use Exhchange & ECN's Settings:" LSE.

Next, I set up Auto-Trading to trade 10000 Dollars Per Trade. However, the settings automatically retrieved from the broker seem to be wrong - the trade is 100x too small (e.g. only £100).

I have to manually set the BigPointValue to 0.01 to trade the correct amount. Why are the correct settings not being automatically retrieved for the exchange?

Dave Masalov

Re: LSE - Correct BigPointValue?

Postby Dave Masalov » 02 Oct 2013

Hello AntiMatter,

We failed to reproduce the issue on our end. Please send us screenshots or a video showing the issue or come to our Live Chat Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 4 PM EST to demonstrate the issue: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

AntiMatter

Postby AntiMatter » 09 Oct 2013

On further clarification/investigation, my problem is as follows:

I am trading on Interactive Brokers. Therefore, I would like to use exchange "SMART" (it has more comprehensive data, and improved price discovery than using exchange "LSE")

On MultiCharts, the SMART exchange is setup with US exchange settings. This is with a BigPointValue = 1. For the UK, the BigPointValue should be 0.01.

However, I am trading both UK and US stocks. Thus, I cannot change the exchange settings. I need some stocks to have UK settings, and some to have US settings.

Instead, we could try selecting multiple instruments in the QuoteManager (e.g. all those with "GBP" in the description). However, when attempting to do this - for some reason - we cannot set the Big Point Value to 0.01 (although we can set it to vales >= 1)!!!! Instead, I have to manually set the BPV for every stock on the LSE.

Is there a quicker/easier solution, or something I am mis-understanding?

Henry MultiСharts

Re: LSE - Correct BigPointValue?  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Oct 2013

Hello AntiMatter,

You do not need to select "Use Exchange & ECN's Settings" for your instrument.
You just need to add the symbols from the data source.
In QuoteManager please go to Instrument tab->Add symbol->From data source-> IB-> Add the symbol you need with the proper exchange.
The proper instrument settings should be automatically received from the data provider.
If that does not happen please let us know the exact symbol you are adding and which particular parameter is wrong.

AntiMatter

Postby AntiMatter » 09 Oct 2013

Thanks for the help.

If I do as you suggest above, and >Add symbol->From data source-> IB->
This appears to obtain the correct settings. However, when importing from a symbol list, it does not obtain the correct settings. I am trying to setup a long(ish) list of symbols correctly. Moreover, this can change on a daily basis. Therefore, I am trying to automate everything as much as possible.

When I attempt to "Import Symbol List..." and import symbols this way, then the Settings default to "Use Exchange & ECN's settings: SMART".

For example, I import the attached file, and "Select Data Source: Interactive Brokers". I think the file should be formatted correctly (all the fields are as they appear in Quote Manager).
Attachments
tickers.txt_uk.txt
(157 Bytes) Downloaded 391 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Oct 2013

when importing from a symbol list, it does not obtain the correct settings.
When symbols are added from the data source - the symbol settings are provided by IB API.
When futures symbols are imported from a symbol list (txt file) - QuoteManager looks for the respective symbol root in the Symbol dictionary for the selected data provider, if it exists - symbol "uses symbol dictionary settings". If it does not exist - the symbol "uses exchange and ECN settings".
"Use exchange and ECN settings" is also used for all other instrument categories.
There is no way to get the settings from IB API when importing from a symbol list.

AntiMatter

Postby AntiMatter » 17 Oct 2013

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Return to “MultiCharts”