Playback Mode Behavior

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Kevin

Playback Mode Behavior

Postby Kevin » 14 Oct 2013

When in Playback mode, I need to move back and forth between different resolutions (right now mostly weekly and daily, though that will change over time (pun not intended)). I thought I understood how Playback mode works, but whenever I change the “Play as” speed in the combo box, say from “Day by Day” to “Minute by Minute,” the chart does not change to reflect the new resolution. Actually, the chart doesn’t change at all. In order to actually see the chart display bars in the newly selected “Play As” resolution, I need to click the desired resolution on the Resolution Toolbar – problem is, that takes it out of Playback mode, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of Playback mode, plus makes it necessary to go through the whole process of getting back to the previous Playback point.

Also, this is related (although it’s a moot point till I figure out the above): when in Minute by Minute, for example, if I try and go back to a higher timeframe such as Day-by-Day, the option no longer appears in the Play As combo box. I’ve tried it in both Local and Global mode, all to no avail.

Am I doing something wrong here, am I missing something, or is something else going on here? I’m currently using .Net Starter edition. (Although I can see two symbols won’t hold me for long once I get everything sorted out.)

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Playback Mode Behavior

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Oct 2013

whenever I change the “Play as” speed in the combo box, say from “Day by Day” to “Minute by Minute,” the chart does not change to reflect the new resolution.
Hello Kevin,

Playback Resolution list is for selecting the precision of the data playback. It does not change the chart resolution. It defines the resolution of the data that will be utilized to replay your current chart resolution.
I need to click the desired resolution on the Resolution Toolbar – problem is, that takes it out of Playback mode, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of Playback mode, plus makes it necessary to go through the whole process of getting back to the previous Playback point.
Rebuilding the chart by changing it resolution resets the playback. That is expected behavior.
Also, this is related (although it’s a moot point till I figure out the above): when in Minute by Minute, for example, if I try and go back to a higher timeframe such as Day-by-Day, the option no longer appears in the Play As combo box. I’ve tried it in both Local and Global mode, all to no avail.
The available Playback Resolutions are dependent from the current chart resolution.
Day-by-Day Playback Resolution option is available for N Days/N Weeks/Month/Quarter/Years chart resolution.

Kevin

Postby Kevin » 17 Oct 2013

I need to click the desired resolution on the Resolution Toolbar – problem is, that takes it out of Playback mode, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of Playback mode, plus makes it necessary to go through the whole process of getting back to the previous Playback point.
Rebuilding the chart by changing it resolution resets the playback. That is expected behavior.
I don't understand why that is. What if you need to take a quick (or slow) look at a higher timeframe resolution during playback -- say to find out where you are in the long term scheme of things, or look for long term support or resistance, for example? You don't want it going back to the current bar at this point, that defeats the whole purpose of Playback. In order for Playback to actually be useful, you need to be able to change resolutions without "losing your place," so to speak.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Oct 2013

You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”