Port of code from another C# trading platform

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
tradetree

Port of code from another C# trading platform

Postby tradetree » 23 Oct 2013

I am porting a large amount of trading code from my previous platform. A couple of things are confusing about this forum. First, why when you search for a topic in the MC.NET forum does it bring up posts from the MC forum? I am using .NET, so I don't want to get Easylanguage versions of functions. Along the same lines, if you go to help within MC.NET it sends you to a web page that brings up EasyLanguage functions, not ones that work in MC.NET. A good example is plotting trend-lines inside a strategy. It gives "TL" functions that do not work in MC.NET. Am I missing something?

Second, why are there no built-in basic functions like ATR? If you search for ATR there is only an indicator in MC.NET, no values for a strategy. Is this just part of the search problem and it is out there in reality?

Lastly, are there any posts or cheat sheets for related functions between other platforms? I know that one is a lot to ask, but I figure I'd at least ask. I'll probably post something after my conversion.

JoshM

Re: Port of code from another C# trading platform

Postby JoshM » 24 Oct 2013

Along the same lines, if you go to help within MC.NET it sends you to a web page that brings up EasyLanguage functions, not ones that work in MC.NET. A good example is plotting trend-lines inside a strategy. It gives "TL" functions that do not work in MC.NET. Am I missing something?
Since MultiCharts .NET is based on regular MultiCharts, the documentation for MultiCharts is the same as for MC .NET. So, for example, if you want to know how the Bar Magnifier works, you can read the normal MultiCharts version wiki page for it.

Also, if you press F1 in the PowerLanguage Editor the help contents (should) pop-up in the Editor. That will give the more specific MC .NET help. You might also want to read the programming guide.
Second, why are there no built-in basic functions like ATR? If you search for ATR there is only an indicator in MC.NET, no values for a strategy. Is this just part of the search problem and it is out there in reality?
The ATR function is called AvgTrueRange in MC .NET.
Lastly, are there any posts or cheat sheets for related functions between other platforms? I know that one is a lot to ask, but I figure I'd at least ask. I'll probably post something after my conversion.
No, not that I'm aware of. (But I'd personally rather make those functions myself than just port then over, to prevent the risk that there are differences between platforms.)

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”