feature request - Draw trendline based on each tick incremen

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arnie

feature request - Draw trendline based on each tick incremen

Postby arnie » 19 Nov 2013

Just requested a new PM:

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1522

Here is a video that helps viewing what I'm requesting:

http://www.screencast.com/t/N2GkpfU6hQ7

When drawing a trendline, in this case I'm drawing a horizontal line, it makes no sense moving/drawing it in 0.01 increments when, if we're following ES, it moves in 0.25 increments. On the video we can see this. I'm always forced to go to the line properties to adjust the price.
This image is a screenshot of the video where I'm moving one of the lines and see how it is showing 1793.38. On ES, it should move between 1793.25 or 1793.50. There's nothing between .25 and .50 to be quoted.

So my idea is to have a keyboard key that when pressed while drawing the line, it recognizes the tick increment of the symbol and by doing that we're able to plot it at exact price. Something similar to what has been done with Ctrl key when drawing horizontal trendlines.

Also, it would be nice, when drawing a horizontal line, we could see the entire line on the chart and not a small dash. If not possible to show the entire line before drawing it, at least highlight the line price on the price scale so we can have a better reading where we are plotting it.

Regards,
Fernando
Attachments
mov_trend.jpg
(78.69 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

bowlesj3

Re: feature request - Draw trendline based on each tick incr

Postby bowlesj3 » 21 Nov 2013

It is a cool idea. However in the mean time you could use a script to force a trend line to the way you want it. Here is the basic logic I have been using for a few things. It executes on the lastbaronchart. It is a good idea to force it to execute every second using RecalcLastBarAfter(1);

Code: Select all

WorkAbrupt_ID = MC_TL_GetActive;
if WorkAbrupt_ID > 0 then {Has the TL been highlighted by the user}
begin
if WorkAbrupt_IDprev = 0 then
begin
WorkAbrupt_IDPrev = WorkAbrupt_ID;
Playsound("C:\WINDOWS\Media\Notify.wav");
end
else
begin
{Line is highlighted but we bypass all the subsequent ticks}
end;
end
else
begin
if WorkAbrupt_IDPrev > 0 then
begin
{Line is not highlighted now but we have its ID}
{Get the info on the line and if it is horizontal force it to the proper location}
WorkAbrupt_IDPrev = 0;
Playsound("C:\WINDOWS\Media\ding.wav");
end;
end;
So you drop a line and wait for the notify sound. Once you hear it then you highlight the chart background of the chart and it puts the line where you want it. You have to work out the logic for that using the the FracPortion comand to get the fraction portion and then use a switch command to set it to .25 .50 .75 or zero then add that back in to the IntPortion of the original value. Of course you can force it to extrend right or left as you wish too.

The thread at this link has a script that uses the above logic for a more extensive process than simply moving a line into position. I use it daily and I have another one now for a difference purpose. The idea is the above logic can have a lot of uses. It could even be used to snap trend lines to price tips and even scan forward a few bars to ensure the price snaps to the highest or lowest bar within that range.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7764

The above logic could be used more extensively if there were tool bars in MC where the user could quickly create new lines or arrows or text of different colors and other characteristics (I have a long standing custom tool bar PM request for this). The idea is the above logic could be modified to determine if the line placed is to be used by the above logic based upon color or whatever. For example in the above logic I said the script needs to determine if the line is horizontal. It could be easier if the script could look for a specific color too just to ensure that this is what the user really wanted to do before forcing the line to do whatever the script is designed to do with it.

Return to “MultiCharts”