Free Quotes for S&P500  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
tradetree

Free Quotes for S&P500

Postby tradetree » 04 Jan 2014

I have contacted tech support via chat, but don't have the right solution so far. On other platforms, it is possible to connect to free End of Day data feeds like Yahoo indexes. I have found through help with tech support that some things are available that follow the S&P500, like SPY for example, but the quality of the data is low (ie the open is always zero). SPY is also a poor proxy of the S&P500 as it is not linearly correlated (not that you have to know what that means). The "Free Quotes" feed gives all the regular listed stocks, but not the S&P. I have tried the following symbols but they all fail: $SPX, SPX, $INX, .INX, ^GSPC.

The question is, how can I get a good EOD data feed for the S&P500? I know how to get it through imports, but I have already done that and it is not what I want. I want to every day get the EOD update automatically. I also know I can pay through the nose, but this is not premium data for trading. It is for overall market analysis. I have the data I need from my broker for trading and then this is ancillary data for market review.

I have considered doing something like the following, but it is a hack. I can run a chart off of SPY, but read my S&P500 data from my own source and replace the SPY data with my data in CalcBar. The SPY data gives me the call-backs to CalcBar, but that is its only purpose in this case. Is there a better way than this?

MaRCHeW

Re: Free Quotes for S&P500

Postby MaRCHeW » 04 Jan 2014

Hi Tradetree :)

Check this address: http://pages.swcp.com/stocks/#historical%20data
Maybe it helps you.

Regards
MaRCHeW

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Jan 2014

tradetree,

With FreeQuotes you can get data only for the symbols that have the option Historical prices->Download to Spreadsheet on their webpage.

You can get the data from one of the supported data providers:
https://www.multicharts.com/market-data-feeds/

If you have in Metastock - you can load it into MultiCharts. Here how to do that.

If you have the data in ASCII file you can import it or read directly from the file using ASCII mapping.

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 07 Jan 2014

tradetree,

With FreeQuotes you can get data only for the symbols that have the option Historical prices->Download to Spreadsheet on their webpage.

You can get the data from one of the supported data providers:
https://www.multicharts.com/market-data-feeds/

If you have in Metastock - you can load it into MultiCharts. Here how to do that.

If you have the data in ASCII file you can import it or read directly from the file using ASCII mapping.

And yahoo has this here for the S&P500:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=%5EGSPC ... cal+Prices

But it does not work in Quote Manager! I am not looking for ASCII mapping, because then I have to map every day. I want to auto-update from yahoo through FreeQuotes. Every other platform supports an EOD S&P500 feed. Can Multicharts?

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 07 Jan 2014

(...) I am not looking for ASCII mapping, because then I have to map every day.(....)
ASCII mapping settings are remembered, though you do need to update the source file each day (or use a script for that).

(Just saying as a side note)

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 07 Jan 2014

(...) I am not looking for ASCII mapping, because then I have to map every day.(....)
ASCII mapping settings are remembered, though you do need to update the source file each day (or use a script for that).

(Just saying as a side note)
Hey Josh,
What kind of script? Do you mean one of those scripts that remember key strokes to the GUI? I have tried those and they are not that reliable. I don't know of an API for MC to tell it to update through software? If so, that would be great. I'd love to be able to auto-load data into MC.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Jan 2014

And yahoo has this here for the S&P500:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=%5EGSPC ... cal+Prices
But it does not work in Quote Manager!
Please specify what does not work exactly. I am able to receive S&P500 (^GSPC) data from Free Quotes for the symbol added manually:
Attachments
^GSPC.png
(31.15 KiB) Downloaded 1550 times

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 08 Jan 2014

Henry,
Today it works for me as well! I have no idea what happened. Perhaps yahoo finance was having trouble and it was a coincidence with when I first tried it. Anyway, thanks for the help.

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 09 Jan 2014

Looks like I resolved this topic prematurely. I was able to load data once, but now it is stuck on 1/7/2014 as the last day. I tried going into the quote manager and "Loading" but it still only went to 1/7/2014. Being that it is now after close of market on 1/9/2014 there should be at least the 1/8/2014 bar available. On the Yahoo site it shows the 1/8/2014 information ready for download. I also tried opening a new chart and still only got up to 1/7/2014 for daily bars. Any ideas?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jan 2014

Looks like I resolved this topic prematurely. I was able to load data once, but now it is stuck on 1/7/2014 as the last day. I tried going into the quote manager and "Loading" but it still only went to 1/7/2014. Being that it is now after close of market on 1/9/2014 there should be at least the 1/8/2014 bar available. On the Yahoo site it shows the 1/8/2014 information ready for download. I also tried opening a new chart and still only got up to 1/7/2014 for daily bars. Any ideas?
In MultiCharts please go to File tab->Preferences->Data server mode;
Make sure you are in online mode, "download missing historical data" is enabled.
After that is done - reload your chart (View tab->Reload / press Ctrl+R).

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 10 Jan 2014

Yes reload works. Does that mean that the only way to get daily update of bars is to go to each chart and perform a "reload" on a daily basis?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jan 2014

Yes reload works. Does that mean that the only way to get daily update of bars is to go to each chart and perform a "reload" on a daily basis?
That is correct. Free Quotes is not a data provider with an API that MultiCharts can subscribe for contiguous data access. Free Quotes data is accessed by downloading an excel file from the website and parsing it. If you need to get the new bars - you need to reload your chart.

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 10 Jan 2014

That is correct. Free Quotes is not a data provider with an API that MultiCharts can subscribe for contiguous data access. Free Quotes data is accessed by downloading an excel file from the website and parsing it. If you need to get the new bars - you need to reload your chart.
Ok, could you check with your software team and see if there is any type of programmatic way to start the reload? All I need is a way to initiate the "reload" from an indicator or signal. I realize this is a long shot, but clearly there is already code in place to take action when the "reload" is done from Ctrl-R. I just need to mimic that action.

JoshM

Re: Free Quotes for S&P500  [SOLVED]

Postby JoshM » 11 Jan 2014

Ok, could you check with your software team and see if there is any type of programmatic way to start the reload? All I need is a way to initiate the "reload" from an indicator or signal. I realize this is a long shot, but clearly there is already code in place to take action when the "reload" is done from Ctrl-R. I just need to mimic that action.
See CommandLine and how that can be used to reload a chart. The MultiCharts .NET equivalent to CommandLine() is, as far as I know:

Code: Select all

ChartCommands.CommandLine("command");

tradetree

Postby tradetree » 14 Jan 2014

See CommandLine and how that can be used to reload a chart. The MultiCharts .NET equivalent to CommandLine() is, as far as I know:

ChartCommands.CommandLine("command");
Josh,
I think this is exactly what I need. I'll try it out!

boup09

Postby boup09 » 26 Jan 2024

I understand this is old thread but wondering how to ensure daily update of free quotes data feed.
Using multicharts powerlanguage, would adding this at end of script reload data in full on daily basis with addition of latest day bar?

If BarNumber <>BarNumber[1] then CommandLine(".rld");

Polly MultiCharts

Postby Polly MultiCharts » 26 Jan 2024

Hello boup09,

No, the historical bar will not appear on the chart. "BarNumber <>BarNumber[1]" will work for each bar.
We’d recommend using ComputerDateTime and RecalcLastBarAfter for your purpose.
You might check this sample for reference:

if (currentbar = 1) then value1 = dayofweekfromdatetime(computerdatetime); RecalcLastBarAfter(600); if (value1 <> dayofweekfromdatetime(computerdatetime)) then CommandLine(".rld");

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”