Any data offered by MC?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
System Trader

Any data offered by MC?

Postby System Trader » 09 Jan 2014

Does MC offer any free end of day data with the free 30 day trial?

If so, how far back does it go and is it tick or minute?

Does MC offer any tick and/or minute data (and as of what year) with a paid license?

Does the MC backtesting engine have the capability to check this data without making any assumptions?
By assumptions I mean (for example on a 1 minute bar, say the high is closer to the close than the low) - will the backtesting engine make the assumption that the low occured before the high or will it actually go inside the bar to see what happened and use the data as it actually happened in the backtest?

Thank you

TJ

Re: Any data offered by MC?

Postby TJ » 09 Jan 2014

Does MC offer any free end of day data with the free 30 day trial?
If so, how far back does it go and is it tick or minute?
Does MC offer any tick and/or minute data (and as of what year) with a paid license?
MultiCharts does not have data. You will need to get it from your broker, or a dataprovider.

You can use MultiCharts to retrieve free EOD quotes from Yahoo, MSN, or Google.

Free Quote Setup Tutorial:
Look for the Yahoo video
https://www.multicharts.com/multicharts/help/videos/

For streaming data,
you can connect to InteractiveBrokers' Demo System for free streaming quotes (day old data for testing purposes).
Go to IB website and look for instruction for "Demo System".
Does the MC backtesting engine have the capability to check this data without making any assumptions?
By assumptions I mean (for example on a 1 minute bar, say the high is closer to the close than the low) - will the backtesting engine make the assumption that the low occured before the high or will it actually go inside the bar to see what happened and use the data as it actually happened in the backtest?
Thank you
MultiCharts is a very powerful trading and backtesting engine. It can pretty well do any analysis you have in mind. Some can be done easily, others might require some programming.

For learning autotrading and backtesting, you can start here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10811

For the particular question on assumption:
Please look up the following articles in wiki:

How Signals are Calculated
Intra-bar Price Movement Assumptions

System Trader

Postby System Trader » 17 Jan 2014

Reviewed that wiki.

This is what I think I need: Calculation on historical data. IOG enabled. Bar Magnifier enabled.

Based on the above I assume the following will work:
Backtesting 5 minute bars, the backtesting engine will look at all the ticks within that 5 minute period to see if the profit for a trade was reached prior to the stop loss and generate the correct exit (sell/buy to cover) in the backtesting report.

If so, how much slower will backtesting this way be vs. disabling IOG and Bar Magnifier going back 2 years on ES?

Thank you

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Jan 2014

If so, how much slower will backtesting this way be vs. disabling IOG and Bar Magnifier going back 2 years on ES?

Thank you
Hello System Trader,

It depends on your PC hardware, available RAM and CPU load at that moment, disk write speed, the resolution to be used for bar magnifier, whether the data is already loaded to local database or not. Generally that is not possible to provide any exact estimate. It will take multiple times longer as the amount of calculations is XXX times more with bar magnifier enabled.

Return to “MultiCharts”