Best option for distributed development

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
robbob

Best option for distributed development

Postby robbob » 23 Jan 2014

Hi, I'm trying to determine what would be the best way to go about doing strategy development with 2 developers that are not at the same location, in addition to a 3rd production environment.

My original plan was to check the "CS" directory (in StudyServer/Techniques) into our source code repository (Subversion), which would allow the other developer to run an SVN update in their CS directory to pull down the changes. The problem however seems to be that not all new indicators and strategies that are added to the CS directory in this manner show up in the Power Language Editor. In order to get them in the editor, I have to manually create the class in the editor and then copy and paste the code into the new file. Is there an easier way to do this.

Also, when deploying to our production environment, I'm wondering if it would be better to package our custom indicators and strategies into an Add-On binary, and then deploy the Add-On to the production machine. However, I can't find much documentation in the way of creating an AddOn. I'm not sure if creating and AddOn would be easier than copying C# source code tothe production machine, but we would like to take the easiest route to get the strategies/indicators to the production machine when we make modifications or add new strategies/indicators.

Thanks,
-Rob

Dru

Re: Best option for distributed development

Postby Dru » 24 Jan 2014

Hi, I'm trying to determine what would be the best way to go about doing strategy development with 2 developers that are not at the same location, in addition to a 3rd production environment.

My original plan was to check the "CS" directory (in StudyServer/Techniques) into our source code repository (Subversion), which would allow the other developer to run an SVN update in
their CS directory to pull down the changes.
Good idea.
The problem however seems to be that not all new indicators and strategies that are added to the CS directory in this manner show up in the Power Language Editor. In order to get them in the editor, I have to manually create the class in the editor and then copy and paste the code into the new file. Is there an easier way to do this.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45848#p100789
Also, when deploying to our production environment, I'm wondering if it would be better to package our custom indicators and strategies into an Add-On binary, and then deploy the Add-On to the production machine. However, I can't find much documentation in the way of creating an AddOn. I'm not sure if creating and AddOn would be easier than copying C# source code tothe production machine, but we would like to take the easiest route to get the strategies/indicators to the production machine when we make modifications or add new strategies/indicators.

Thanks,
-Rob
My recomendations:
1) You code all business logic of your system(s) in separate .NET assembly.
2) In PLEditor.NET create indicators/signals "wrappers" and add reference to your assembly. This wrappers will delegate all work to implementators from your assembly.
3) Export indicators/signals from PLEditor.NET. This archive will contain all dependent references.

robbob

Re: Best option for distributed development

Postby robbob » 24 Jan 2014

Great! Thanks for the suggestions Dru.

-Rob

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”