A few things I need

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
Agro

A few things I need

Postby Agro » 21 Feb 2014

Hello

I want to be able to draw trend lines and the like on 1 chart and have them appear on a different chart. Like a linked chart but I only want some of the lines to appear on the other charts. So say I have a 1h, 1m, 5m and 15m chart open of the same instrument I want to be to draw a line so that it appears on the charts I choose. So generally that would be all or some of the shorter timeframe charts and may or may not include longer timeframe charts.

Also, I would like to be able to choose to exclude weekend data but I would like to set the specific times that weekend closes and opens. Say from 5pm fri to 5pm sunday.

Also, with chart trading on is there a way to get the little box to the left of the line showing profit and close trade/reverse trade icons to not be displayed? I just want the line and maybe to be able to right click the line and hit close or something to close the position.

Thanks

JoshM

Re: A few things I need

Postby JoshM » 21 Feb 2014

I want to be able to draw trend lines and the like on 1 chart and have them appear on a different chart. Like a linked chart but I only want some of the lines to appear on the other charts. So say I have a 1h, 1m, 5m and 15m chart open of the same instrument I want to be to draw a line so that it appears on the charts I choose. So generally that would be all or some of the shorter timeframe charts and may or may not include longer timeframe charts.
There's a feature request for that (if I understand you correctly): MC-138 - Add Drawing Tool to All Linked Charts with same instrument in a workspace, so it's not possible now.
Also, I would like to be able to choose to exclude weekend data but I would like to set the specific times that weekend closes and opens. Say from 5pm fri to 5pm sunday.
You can create custom session templates for that.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Feb 2014

Also, with chart trading on is there a way to get the little box to the left of the line showing profit and close trade/reverse trade icons to not be displayed? I just want the line and maybe to be able to right click the line and hit close or something to close the position.
Please uncheck "Show Open Positions" in Chart Trading Settings.

Agro

Postby Agro » 23 Feb 2014

Thanks for the replies guys.

I would also like to know if I can plot round numbers (50 and 00 numbers) on the chart. A dashed line or something.

Also, I trade forex via LMAX and they reset the servers at 5pm NY time for 5 minutes everyday (not trading from 5pm to 5.05pm). It seems multicharts does not plot the 5 minute and smaller candles for this period, but the rest of the world is still trading so I need it to plot a space for the candle so as trendlines are not effected on 5m and below charts. How do I do this?

Thanks

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 23 Feb 2014

I would also like to know if I can plot round numbers (50 and 00 numbers) on the chart. A dashed line or something.
With a custom indicator, yes. I am not aware if a build-in indicator or option can do that. Perhaps Henry knows.
Also, I trade forex via LMAX and they reset the servers at 5pm NY time for 5 minutes everyday (not trading from 5pm to 5.05pm). It seems multicharts does not plot the 5 minute and smaller candles for this period, but the rest of the world is still trading so I need it to plot a space for the candle so as trendlines are not effected on 5m and below charts. How do I do this?
In the Format Window (double-click on the chart) you can display empty periods (see here).

Agro

Postby Agro » 24 Feb 2014

In the Format Window (double-click on the chart) you can display empty periods
Cheers mate, thats great

Agro

Postby Agro » 24 Feb 2014

Please uncheck "Show Open Positions" in Chart Trading Settings.
This takes away the line also. I want a line without the box if possible

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Feb 2014

This takes away the line also. I want a line without the box if possible
There is no prebuilt way for that. That is possible to create an indicator that will draw the line you need on the chart.

Agro

Postby Agro » 03 Mar 2014

Ok, thanks for the answers

So now I have done some trading on multicharts I have some more questions. Firstly, when I am using chart trading and enter a 2nd position in the same instrument my positions are automatically combined and represented as one position and the stop losses are also combined. Is there a way to keep the positions separate?

Also, I have tried using the floor traded pivot points indicator but it seems it will only calculate pivots based on midnight to midnight. I want pivots based on 5pm-5pm New York time. Short of changing my computers clock to align midnight with 5pm New York I can't seem to get around this. Does anyone know of a free pivot point indicator that allows one to set the session times?

And, I think I have asked this before a long time ago but I want to be able to plot the forex prices based on the midpoint of the bid and ask rather than just bid, ask or last trade. Is it possible as in a decentralised market such as the forex market this is the only real way of obtaining a decent idea of the entire markets sentiment.

Cheers

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Mar 2014

Firstly, when I am using chart trading and enter a 2nd position in the same instrument my positions are automatically combined and represented as one position and the stop losses are also combined. Is there a way to keep the positions separate?
There is no way to have the positions shown separate, as in fact at the broker threre is a single net position. There are multiple exit strategies modes that can keep the stop loss orders separate.
Also, I have tried using the floor traded pivot points indicator but it seems it will only calculate pivots based on midnight to midnight. I want pivots based on 5pm-5pm New York time. Short of changing my computers clock to align midnight with 5pm New York I can't seem to get around this. Does anyone know of a free pivot point indicator that allows one to set the session times?
Please check the following discussion.
And, I think I have asked this before a long time ago but I want to be able to plot the forex prices based on the midpoint of the bid and ask rather than just bid, ask or last trade. Is it possible as in a decentralised market such as the forex market this is the only real way of obtaining a decent idea of the entire markets sentiment.
That is possible to have a mid point calculated based on asks and bids with LMAX data provider. For the other data providers you can plot the mid point using the prebuilt Spread diff indicator.

Agro

Postby Agro » 11 Mar 2014

Cheers mate.

So you say it is possible to plot the chart based on mid point of ask and bid with LMAX. How do I do this? I only see options for ask, bid or trade.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Mar 2014

Cheers mate.

So you say it is possible to plot the chart based on mid point of ask and bid with LMAX. How do I do this? I only see options for ask, bid or trade.
This functionality has been added in MultiCharts 8.7 Release.
Please go to File->New->QuoteManager->Tools->DataSources->LMAX->Settings->enable “Build trade ticks from ask ticks and bid ticks” option.
You need to restart MultiCharts and all of its processes in order to make the option come into effect.
If you want your historical data to be built this way- you need to reload the tick trade chart after the option is enabled and MC is restarted.

Agro

Postby Agro » 20 Mar 2014

Please go to File->New->QuoteManager->Tools->DataSources->LMAX->Settings->enable “Build trade ticks from ask ticks and bid ticks” option.
You need to restart MultiCharts and all of its processes in order to make the option come into effect.
If you want your historical data to be built this way- you need to reload the tick trade chart after the option is enabled and MC is restarted.
Hello Henry and thanks for your replies.

I can't seem to get this to work. I have done as directed and restarted my computer but I still can only plot the charts according to bid, ask or last which are the only options available in the quote field...

Where am I going wrong?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Mar 2014

Hello Henry and thanks for your replies.

I can't seem to get this to work. I have done as directed and restarted my computer but I still can only plot the charts according to bid, ask or last which are the only options available in the quote field...

Where am I going wrong?
Hello Agro,

No new Quote Field options will appear in the chart settings. When you turn on the “Build trade ticks from ask ticks and bid ticks” option - Trade Quote Field will be built from asks and bids.

Agro

Postby Agro » 14 Jan 2015

Revisiting this issue as I could never get it to work but am looking to use multicharts again if I can sort this out.

So I have the very latest multicharts.net installed and I have followed your instructions and enabled “Build trade ticks from ask ticks and bid ticks” option. I have restarted my computer and the trade quote field is still not showing the midpoint.

Example below

Candle time 22.42

Bid is showing low of candle to be 138.562
Ask is showing low of 138.571
Trade should be showing 138.5665 but is showing 138.562

So the price is still being built from the last trade instead of midpoint.

Please help, cheers
Bid.png
(104.28 KiB) Downloaded 1437 times
Ask.png
(88.08 KiB) Downloaded 1471 times
trade.png
(106.07 KiB) Downloaded 1434 times

AlphaCat

Postby AlphaCat » 15 Jan 2015

The "Build trade-tick from bid and ask" option will not result in the bid-ask midpoint. It just does what it says. Not sure why it is beeing suggested as solution.

I cant be done except for custom-painting a chart, and this wouldnt work with backfilled data anyways.

I made a feature-request for a mid-point option as trade-tick here:

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1817

You can vote for that and maybe in the distant future it will get implemented..

P.S.: i just tested again. Charts are being built by bid and ask prices with this option on, not with the mid-price. But not sure what it actually does to the Last-price in the statusline and scanner windows, it seems to be the mid-price, but it only updates sporadically and not when bid or ask changes. This seems broken.

Agro

Postby Agro » 15 Jan 2015

The "Build trade-tick from bid and ask" option will not result in the bid-ask midpoint. It just does what it says. Not sure why it is beeing suggested as solution.

I cant be done except for custom-painting a chart, and this wouldnt work with backfilled data anyways.

I made a feature-request for a mid-point option as trade-tick here:

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1817

You can vote for that and maybe in the distant future it will get implemented..

P.S.: i just tested again. Charts are being built by bid and ask prices with this option on, not with the mid-price. But not sure what it actually does to the Last-price in the statusline and scanner windows, it seems to be the mid-price, but it only updates sporadically and not when bid or ask changes. This seems broken.
Cheers alphacat. Have voted and commented on your feature request.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Feb 2015

Hello Agro,

I apologize for confusion. “Build trade ticks from ask ticks and bid ticks” option will not plot a midpoint price.

When the option is enabled - quote field "Trade" includes both Bid and Ask prices which makes the Volume Profile feature usable for Forex symbols. Trade field records a new tick even if only the Ask price/volume has changed and does not wait for the Bid to change either price or volume.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”