plotting moving average problem

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dennisc

plotting moving average problem

Postby dennisc » 25 Feb 2014

I'd like to know how to get a moving average to plot using the price scale of the instrument, but with a different decimal precision than price. I'm not trying to program anything in PowerLanguage, I'm just trying to get the standard options to work for me. Here's an example of my problem:

Let's say I plot the mini-Dow (YM). YM has no values after the decimal point. So the price scale displays only whole numbers.

I want to add a simple moving average that plotted on the chart based on the price scale, but I want the values of the average to display with 2 places after the decimal point.

But using the standard scaling options of the moving average, I can't find a way to do both. I can either get the average to plot using the price scale by using the "Same as indicator" scaling option (but without the decimal precision I want), or I can get the decimal precision in the moving average value display by using the "User Defined" scaling option (but then the moving average starts to plot differently on the chart after several bars).

The simple workaround seems to be adding more decimal precision to the instrument's price scale, but I want the price scale to display the same prices I trade, and the moving average value display to be more precise by at least 2 decimal points.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I haven't found the answer anywhere yet...

Henry MultiСharts

Re: plotting moving average problem

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Feb 2014

Hello dennisc,

Unfortunately there is no direct way to do that. You can use one of the workarounds or submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

dennisc

Re: plotting moving average problem

Postby dennisc » 26 Feb 2014

Hello dennisc,

Unfortunately there is no direct way to do that. You can use one of the workarounds or submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/
Thanks for checking Henry. But, uh... wow.

I can't even begin to understand how it's not already possible. Options to plot the indicator in places where the plot level doesn't match the value of the indicator, but no way to set the decimal precision of the indicator???

I'm trying to even imagine a situation where you'd NOT want the moving average(s) in a price chart to be plotted using the price scale... And with all the outstanding features in MultiCharts, I would think that being able to set the decimal precision of a moving average would be a given, especially since all the indicators using their own sub-graphs have that option.

Just sayin'...

DC

Return to “MultiCharts”