please vote for this charting request

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dennisc

please vote for this charting request

Postby dennisc » 26 Feb 2014

See my previous post from Feb. 26, entitled "plotting moving average problem", and my request description at http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... no=MC-1610

If you've never noticed how indicators plot differently in the price chart from where they should be, depending on which scaling option you choose, it might just matter to you.

Thanks,

DC

dennisc

Re: please vote for this charting request

Postby dennisc » 26 Feb 2014

I'm not sure what happened, but TJ's response got deleted; or at least I can't find it now. If I somehow deleted it TJ, sorry - I was trying to respond and wanted to quote you, but...

Anyway, to answer TJ, I don't need to enlarge the chart - I just compare different charts side-by-side using different options. I've tried every option there is and can't get what I want. According to Henry, the option for what I want doesn't currently exist.

My basic issue is that I want a decimal precision option for indicator value displays on the price chart at the same time the indicator is plotted where it should be according to the price scale.

I'm astounded that you have that option on any indicator that has its own sub-graph, but you don't have it on any indicator in the price chart, unless you add decimal points to the instrument's price display and set the indicator to use the same scaling as the instrument. I just want to have the indicator value display with more precision AND see the prices that actually trade without having to mentally adjust for the extra decimal places on the instrument price scale, which is the only workaround...

It would seem that the fix would be to be able to set the study's scaling option for "Same as Instrument" and enable the "No. of digits after decimal" option for any study inserted into the price chart. Currently, the "No. of digits after decimal" option is grayed out when using the "Same as Instrument" scaling option.

To reiterate, I want indicator value displays to have user-defined decimal precision at the same time they're plotted at the correct location on the price chart, AND have the price scale only display prices that actually trade... in short, different decimal precision for the price and indicator displays.

If you can find a way to get MC to do it, let me know. Whatever option I've tried has looked good at first, but when the price chart scale changes automatically as new prices come in (as I prefer), the indicators are plotted on a different scale so their relation to price is skewed. The workaround I mentioned is the only way to get the displayed indicator value precision I want.

DC

Return to “MultiCharts”