Multicharts DOM Poor Experience with IB

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tpredictor

Multicharts DOM Poor Experience with IB

Postby tpredictor » 10 Mar 2014

I've had a rather poor experience using MC DOM with IB. I wanted to see if maybe it was a configuration issue or if this is just the state of it so far. I connect to TWS and not the API.

* MC DOM frequently fails to update the P&L properly
* At times, I close orders in MC and it became desynchronized with IB and it opened an order. Close order should never open orders.
* After closing orders, I enter new trades and MC DOM basis the stop loss off my previous position which will be rejected by CME -- leaving a liimt with no stop and target
* MC plays the filled sound after I've moved/adjusted the order. So, it sounds like I got stop out but I wasn't. So I enter new contracts to realize my old ones were still working because i moved them
* MC to IB connection drops at times and when reconnect it plays "submitting order" over and over.

So, my experience has been rather poor. MC is a great program but hopefully they will improve this because right now it doesn't inspire confidence. If any IB users have a different experience or have got this to work solid then would love to hear how.

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Multicharts DOM Poor Experience with IB

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 11 Mar 2014

Hello tpredictor,
I connect to TWS and not the API.
I think you mean you use IB TWS instead of IB Gateway. It doesn't change anything since in both cases the IB API is used by MC to connect.
* MC DOM frequently fails to update the P&L properly
Do you compare it with PnL in IB TWS?
* At times, I close orders in MC and it became desynchronized with IB and it opened an order. Close order should never open orders.
Are you talking about placing and canceling pending orders, or you are talking about opening and closing market position?
* After closing orders, I enter new trades and MC DOM basis the stop loss off my previous position which will be rejected by CME -- leaving a liimt with no stop and target
When you place a new entry limit order, are you flat at this market at broker end?
* MC plays the filled sound after I've moved/adjusted the order. So, it sounds like I got stop out but I wasn't. So I enter new contracts to realize my old ones were still working because i moved them
Windows Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds -> Sounds (tab) -> In the Program Events: scroll down to MultiCharts section and test "Order Accepted", "Order Filled" and "Order Sent" sounds. Do they sound according to the titles?
* MC to IB connection drops at times and when reconnect it plays "submitting order" over and over.
What is the exact build numbers of MultiCharts (help ->> About MultiCharts) and IB TWS (Help -> About IB TWS)? Do you use FA account?

tpredictor

Postby tpredictor » 11 Mar 2014

1. I'm referring to the P&L shown on the DOM itself quits updating at times.
2. I used the "close position" in MC and it opened an order in TWS. The two became desynchronized due to a disconnect. There was no position open in TWS. I had to close the position in TWS.
3. Yes, I was flat. The issue is that sometimes when open an order MC will for some reason use previous entry position as current -- when the market could be off that by quite some bit. So, your stop loss will be rejected and only a limit order will be submitted.
4. The sound is not the problem. The sound was fine but each time I got disconnected it said it was submitting order. So it sounded like I was getting 100 fills -- fortunately it didnt do that.
5. I'm using build 8.8, 8593, tws 943.1c jan 14. Don't believe so.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 11 Mar 2014

We used to update PnL from IB API, but they update it to slow. Now in MC the IB PnL updates based on settings of IB broker profile: when IB broker profile is disconnected) please make a right-click on the IB broker profile -> Edit Profile Interactive Brokers -> Unrealized Profit Calculation Mode: i recommend to use "By Best Bid & Best Ask" -> Ok.

As for 2, 3 and 4, please come to our live chat during working hours (6:30 am – 3:00 pm EST) to let our operators connect to your computer remotely in order to study the issue and help you: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

Return to “MultiCharts”