Issue with IB and question

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
ollyno1uk

Issue with IB and question

Postby ollyno1uk » 10 Mar 2014

Hi there

I am trying to get the MC working with IB. However, as soon as I connect I start getting historical data pacing violations. As far as I can see I am only loading one 1 minute chart so how can that be?

I tried turning off the historical data but then that makes it unworkable.

Am I missing a trick here?

Also, I am looking for a standard VWAP but this does not seem to be present - only a VWAP_reset - is this the same thing?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Olly

MidKnight

Re: Issue with IB and question

Postby MidKnight » 11 Mar 2014

That is normal with the IB API. 1 minute data is requested in chunks and it will take several requests just to get a single days data. If you are trying to load many days of 1 minute data for the first time, you will certainly get pacing violations. MC.net will keep trying and once IB's pacing restrictions have expired MC.net will make data requests again. This oscillation between pacing violations and data retrieval will continue until the chart is loaded. It takes time.

With kind regards,
MK

ollyno1uk

Postby ollyno1uk » 11 Mar 2014

Hey

Thanks for the response.

I generally trade stocks which means I could be looking at many different charts throughout the day - Are you suggesting that this might not be possible using MC?

Is there anything I can do to maybe just restrict it to collecting a few hours of data rather than several days?

Thanks again.

Olly

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 11 Mar 2014

I generally trade stocks which means I could be looking at many different charts throughout the day - Are you suggesting that this might not be possible using MC?
That depends on how many charts you look at and how much data for these symbols is already in the database.
Is there anything I can do to maybe just restrict it to collecting a few hours of data rather than several days?
That depends on how much data for the symbols is already in the database. If you have, for example, a daily market scanner list which downloads data every day, there are only small gaps to be filled so you're not that likely to run into the historical market data violation.

But if you open multiple charts that have no data for the last 30 days, you'll obviously need to download a lot more data from IB and thus run into the market data violation.

In general, if you 'take care of' your database and data collection, there's no need to worry about the IB historical data violation (under the assumption that you trade minute bars or higher).

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Mar 2014

ollyno1uk, to learn how to reset the "Pacing Violation" please refer to the following article: Interactive Brokers Pacing Violation

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Mar 2014

Also, I am looking for a standard VWAP but this does not seem to be present - only a VWAP_reset - is this the same thing?
Please find the study attached.
Attachments
vwap_non_reset.pln
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 422 times

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”