Order Matching

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
StefanoSF

Order Matching

Postby StefanoSF » 13 Mar 2014

Hi,

I opened three separate manual positions (A, B and C) at difference entry prices for the same instrument. MC charts the combined avg position cost of all three positions. How can I specify selling position C?
(I use IB as broker.)

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Order Matching

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 13 Mar 2014

Hello StefanoSF,

Auto-trading or manual?

StefanoSF

Postby StefanoSF » 13 Mar 2014

Manually. I pyramided into a position, and I want to close a specific leg. I don't want FIFO.

TJ

Postby TJ » 13 Mar 2014

... I want to close a specific leg. I don't want FIFO.
How does your broker handle your exits?

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 14 Mar 2014

Manually. I pyramided into a position, and I want to close a specific leg. I don't want FIFO.
How does your broker handle your exits?
TJ is asking right question (as always). You can enter at 100, then at 150 and then at 200 from MC, but if you would like to exit, let's say the last entry (200), no matter what you see visually and what you do in MC when you place an exit order, your broker will simply receive an order to buy/sell at particular price and that's it. If your order somehow understand which (exit) order should close which position, please contact your broker to learn more.

StefanoSF

Postby StefanoSF » 14 Mar 2014

I have my IB order matching set to FIFO. This is probably a broker issue as other brokers I use allow me to override the default matching and individually select which trade to sell simply by clicking on the specific position.

But shouldn't this also be possible in MC? When I auto trade with MC and allows for multiple entries in my strategy, each unique entry is shown on the chart and I believe (never tried it) that I can close a specific one simply by manually clicking it.

It would be nice to have this feature for manual trading as well, without having to login to IB and change my brokers matching default each time from FIFI, LIFO or ML. Maybe an MC api could allow for on the fly trade matching changes?

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 17 Mar 2014

But shouldn't this also be possible in MC? When I auto trade with MC and allows for multiple entries in my strategy, each unique entry is shown on the chart and I believe (never tried it) that I can close a specific one simply by manually clicking it.

It would be nice to have this feature for manual trading as well, without having to login to IB and change my brokers matching default each time from FIFI, LIFO or ML. Maybe an MC api could allow for on the fly trade matching changes?
We are not aware if any of our supported brokers will work this way. If you know any, please leave us such feature request.

Return to “MultiCharts”