Chart trader and individual positions and exits

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
evdl

Chart trader and individual positions and exits

Postby evdl » 30 Apr 2014

Is it possible to take multiple positions with individual exits/targets.

For example:

Buy 1 future at 9.00 cet and set targets for this position

Buy 1 future at 9.10 cet and set targets for this position.

The total position is then 2 futures, but I do not want to average the stoploss/profit target or trailingstop. Each position must have their own targets. Is this possible? I already read the settings for chart trading (all position, all orders, first position then all orders). But I can't figure out how this works as it keeps averaging the stoploss and profit target.

TJ

Re: Chart trader and individual positions and exits

Postby TJ » 30 Apr 2014

Is it possible to take multiple positions with individual exits/targets.
For example:
Buy 1 future at 9.00 cet and set targets for this position
Buy 1 future at 9.10 cet and set targets for this position.
The total position is then 2 futures, but I do not want to average the stoploss/profit target or trailingstop. Each position must have their own targets. Is this possible? I already read the settings for chart trading (all position, all orders, first position then all orders). But I can't figure out how this works as it keeps averaging the stoploss and profit target.
How does your broker handle this?

evdl

My broker is IB and they keep track of the total position with an average price.

What I would like MC to do, is keep track of the individual trades, or at least the individual targets.

I don't mind that MC is showing the total position and average price on the chart. But I would like to have the individual targets.

When you take a position the targets are created. Store that value somewhere and keep track of it. With autotrader I can do this with the help of a signal/strategy. But with the chart trader I don't know if this is possible.

I am experimenting with the chart trader at the moment. And what I see is that the targets of the first trade are being averaged when you take a second trade and the second trade is created with is own new targets. Resulting in double targets. Not sure if this is how it should work.

evdl

In the attachment you can see an example of the targets that are created after taking two positions

First I took a position of 2 futures at around 9600 and later I took a second position of another 2 futures around 9602.

The first trade is averaged (profit target and stoploss) after taking the second trade and is seen on the chart with 4 futures. The targets for the second trade are displayed with 2 futures.

What I think it should do is creating two profit/stoploss targets with each 2 futures and not 4 and 2 futures, which is in total 6 futures. 2 more then the total position. The trailing trigger seems to be ok with two different values, but it did not hit the triggers, so I can not say it will trail the individual trades or not or also average the total position.

In this example, I used the setting "all orders" in the chart trading settings. But this behaviour is the same with the other settings.
Attachments
Example.png
(161.13 KiB) Downloaded 631 times

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 01 May 2014

Hello evdl,

evdl

Postby evdl » 02 May 2014

Thanks Andrew for the reply.

I applied the settings and restarted MC. Then the first attempt at taking two different trades, it worked. And I could see the individual targets. (with a master strategy). Except for the trailing trigger it did not work.

With the second attempt, without changing anything, it did not work anymore and I got the result as described in the first post.

I will go to live chat as soon as possible.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 05 May 2014

Studying the case. Will let know the results as soon as we finish.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 08 May 2014

evdl,

I have to ask you to come to our live chat again, we will need to reproduce the issue one more time and collect more information. Thank you for understanding.

Return to “MultiCharts”