Trading Two Instruments Independently

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tony

Trading Two Instruments Independently

Postby tony » 05 May 2014

I assume what I want to do can be done but I have no way of confirming other than going live with auto-trading. I want to trade ZB and ES using one multicharts license. The ZB system runs in one workspace with its own signal and the ES system runs in its own workspace with its own signal. So I have one machine, one MC license and two workspaces opened at the same time. But it is not a pair trade. I am simply trying to trade two instruments independently without having to buy another MC license and or machine. My signals each use MarketPosition_at_broker and my concern is that when one system is long that the broker will write back and the other system will also assume it is long.

It sounds like MP_at_broker actually writes back not just trade size and direction but which instrument is actually long or short.

Is this correct in which case I can do what I want to do or do I need to use MarketPosition_at_broker_for_this_strategy? Again, this is not a pairs trade, just trying to trade two different instruments using one machine and MC license.

Thank You -

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Trading Two Instruments Independently

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 06 May 2014

Hello tony,
I want to trade ZB and ES using one multicharts license.
It is possible.
The ZB system runs in one workspace with its own signal and the ES system runs in its own workspace with its own signal. So I have one machine, one MC license and two workspaces opened at the same time.
It is possible.
But it is not a pair trade. I am simply trying to trade two instruments independently without having to buy another MC license and or machine. My signals each use MarketPosition_at_broker and my concern is that when one system is long that the broker will write back and the other system will also assume it is long.
Tony, when you go long on ZB and your MarketPosition_at_broker applied to ZB chart returns it is long, if your broker position at ES is not long, the MarketPosition_at_broker applied to ES chart will not return it is long. If you want somehow the 2 charts communicate, you will need either to use Global Variables, or to wait for coming Portfolio Backtester.
It sounds like MP_at_broker actually writes back not just trade size and direction but which instrument is actually long or short.
MarketPosition_at_broker returns only direction (+ or -) multiplied by number of open contracts.

Return to “MultiCharts”