QuoteManger Data Import with ASCII for Multi insturment

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Pursu

QuoteManger Data Import with ASCII for Multi insturment

Postby Pursu » 13 May 2014

Hi! I am an new Multicharts user!

I am working to move my data from Metastock to Multichart and I export one single txt file that contain all the stocks data(CSV with symbol, date,time OHLC , Vol, ~ 300Mb)

After creating the full list of instruments in Quotemanager, I found that I can only import the data to instrument one by one by using import data-> ASCII... (the system did well in matching the symbol) , but not by batch. If I highlight more than 1 instrument the import data function black out the ASCII option.
I dont see why it cant be done by batch? ( I see PPL have some problem in import more that 1file for 1 instrument but it is not my case)

It will be a huge workload if i make it one by one as there is ~2000 stocks...

Is there any good way to do this? thx!!!

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: QuoteManger Data Import with ASCII for Multi insturment

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 13 May 2014

Hello Pursu,

At the moment MC doesn't support import of multiple symbols either from one file or from multiple files at the same time. Please leave us such feature request.

Pursu

Postby Pursu » 13 May 2014

Oh. thanks for reply!

So What is the best way to import the data from Metastock?
I know I can export the database from Metastock and use it as the data source in Multichart. But if I want to use IB to update my data in the future. how can i import the data into the instrument under data source IB?

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 14 May 2014

Pursu,

You can use MetaStock database files as source of data for MC without exporting/importing anything (at least in QM) and merging this data with real-time data from another source on a chart. Please take into account that in this case the data in historical MetaStock files should be present up to the moment of chart creation, otherwise there will be a gap between first tick coming in real-time and last historical bar from MetaStock.

Pursu

Postby Pursu » 14 May 2014

thanks for ur reply!

I Tried to use set up metatstock database as data source and add instrument in the charts, it work perfectly with all the symbols ! However when I change the "data source" of the instrument to IB, it just can't read the historical data anymore. So how is the trick to merging data with real-time data?
Beside, when I try to edit the data of the instrument under "Metastock" data source, it can't load any data. Even when I try to export the data of the instrument as QMD format, it will say "quote data is missing....".
However if I import data into the instrument from metastocks exported data, it work perfect and can easily edited.

It means the data in metastock database is not extractable?

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 14 May 2014

Please come to our live chat during working hours (6:30 am – 2:45 pm EST) to let our operators connect to your computer remotely in order help you: http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html

Metastock data cannot be modified from QuoteManager, since it is not stored in QuoteManager.

Return to “MultiCharts”