Quandl data support in MultiCharts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Chip4Pips

Quandl data support in MultiCharts

Postby Chip4Pips » 23 Jun 2014

Given the breadth of free historical market and economic data available via their database, I would like to request that MultiCharts find a way to integrate direct usage of Quandl data into the platform. I believe that data from Quandl can be migrated into the platform via R code, but native support would be even more useful. Website:

http://www.quandl.com/

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Quandl data support in MultiCharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Jun 2014

Hello Chip4Pips,

Please contact us directly if you are interested in adding a new data provider to MultiCharts.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 24 Jun 2014

Quandl only offers daily data if I'm not mistaken. Almost all data providers will give you free daily data..

Chip4Pips

Postby Chip4Pips » 24 Jun 2014

True; they do not have tick data.

However, this request is about more than daily stock market data from Yahoo or Google. There is plenty of usefulness in having a 9 million dataset database (including the entire St. Louis Fed FRED library, US government economic data from the source agencies, etc.) integrated into MultiCharts when it comes to graphing/testing relationships. Contract by contract deep history for all futures markets is also housed there, again, albeit daily.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 24 Jun 2014

They don't have minute data either. Only Daily data is available.

I'm not trying to hinder things here, just curious if I'm incorrect about my experience there. Now after looking, I see that daily data is the only offers data via Quandl.

Chip4Pips

Postby Chip4Pips » 24 Jun 2014

You are not incorrect; no minute data. That level of granularity is no issue for my purposes.

The reason for my request is to be able to plot/test any of the pieces of economic/global macro data against daily stock/bond/commodity market data, similar to pics you may see posted online from a Bloomberg terminal. I do not know of another free data source with the breadth of coverage; the only way to get this type of data into MC today is via ASCII files, which is what I do and can be tedious.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 24 Jun 2014

I think it is a great suggestion. MC must definitely find a way to incorporate quandl data. It will prove to be very useful.

masterchanger

Postby masterchanger » 24 Jun 2014

I would like to chime in and request Quandl as EOD or historical Daily Data option.

We can download the files but it would be quite time consuming to inport as ASCII format individual futures contracts. I would be great to create a macro which would automate in the input process.

Also kudo's for MC team for taking on the spread trading issues. I'm still trying to digest the workings of the Portfolio Trader upgrade.

:)

javamarket

Postby javamarket » 11 Jul 2014

+1 for supporting the direct import of Quandl data

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Jul 2014

We have our eye on Quandl data and that is possible that we will implement support for it when time permits.

ihaar

Postby ihaar » 30 Jul 2014

+1 for supporting the direct import of Quandl data

alipapa

Postby alipapa » 03 Aug 2014

+1 for supporting the direct import of Quandl data or a way to import EOD data automatically from a predefined folder.

I have been importing EOD data at end of every week manually. I have no problem writing scripts to download the EOD data files from my favourite data website to a local predefined folder. Would be a plus if MC can support automatic import to Quotemanager.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Aug 2014

+1 for supporting the direct import of Quandl data or a way to import EOD data automatically from a predefined folder.

I have been importing EOD data at end of every week manually. I have no problem writing scripts to download the EOD data files from my favourite data website to a local predefined folder. Would be a plus if MC can support automatic import to Quotemanager.
Please see ASCII Mapping.

alipapa

Postby alipapa » 04 Aug 2014

Yes, I am using ASCII mapping. I have many sets of data to import, and need to repeat this many times. Good if there is a folder I can put in all the data files and run a program to import all sets of data.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Aug 2014

Yes, I am using ASCII mapping. I have many sets of data to import, and need to repeat this many times. Good if there is a folder I can put in all the data files and run a program to import all sets of data.
ASCII import is a onetime data transfer from an ASCII file into MultiCharts database. It is possible for one file at a time.
The data will not be updated from the ASCII file automatically.
More information: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... rting_Data

ASCII mapping creates a link from the software to the ASCII file with data. ASCII mapping does not import data into MultiCharts database (Edit data window of QuoteManager will be empty). Each time you plot an ASCII mapping symbol-the data is taken from the file directly. That is possible to map multiple ASCII files at the same time. You do not need to create ASCII mapping instrument manually-it is created automatically upon mapping.
More information: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ping_ASCII

If you have imported data into a symbol that you have previously mapped to a file then the mapping will not work, only the imported data will be available. You need to delete such instrument and re-do the mapping.

alipapa

Postby alipapa » 08 Aug 2014

That works!

However, if I have all the data files in the same folder, every time I do an ASCII mapping, all the data files are "Checked". Would prefer that all are not checked, and I just select the correct one.

Am I doing something wrong?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Aug 2014

That works!

However, if I have all the data files in the same folder, every time I do an ASCII mapping, all the data files are "Checked". Would prefer that all are not checked, and I just select the correct one.

Am I doing something wrong?
The files that were mapped previously are checked in the list. That is expected behavior. You can uncheck the files and check only those you need, it will not delete the existing mapping links to files.

alipapa

Postby alipapa » 12 Aug 2014

I noticed that if the folder containing data files also contain some irrelevant files, if I just clicked on ok, the charts with the ASCII mapping might show no data found. When I put only the data files in the same folder, and do the ASCII mapping, this works perfectly.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Aug 2014

I noticed that if the folder containing data files also contain some irrelevant files, if I just clicked on ok, the charts with the ASCII mapping might show no data found. When I put only the data files in the same folder, and do the ASCII mapping, this works perfectly.
The other files should not affect the ASCII mapping. It works ok on our end. Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 3 pm EST to demonstrate this behavior remotely.

mobelby

Postby mobelby » 14 Oct 2014

+1 for Quandl as a datafeed into Multicharts

I use CQG/AMP for futures data and the lack of a continuous contract for daily charts is a pain

andywill

Postby andywill » 02 Nov 2015

Given the breadth of free historical market and economic data available via their database, I would like to request that MultiCharts find a way to integrate direct usage of Quandl data into the platform. I believe that data from Quandl can be migrated into the platform via R code, but native support would be even more useful. Website:

http://www.quandl.com/
Hello,

please vote here:

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1960

MC-1960 - Quandl and Metastock XENITH datafeed should be added please

Thank you.

Return to “MultiCharts”