Moving MultiCharts To A New PC  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
harvester

Moving MultiCharts To A New PC

Postby harvester » 29 Jun 2014

I'm in the process of moving MultiCharts to the new PC. In that process, I've run into a problem, where I cannot connect to the trading server on the new PC (in this case Interactive Brokers). I should note that the version of MultiCharts being used on the old PC is version 9.0 Beta 1 (Build 9345). I also have DTN/IQ data feed, and that works fine after the copy to the new PC. It also worth mentioning that IB TWS shows that I'm connected, but no matter what I do, can not pull up a chart from TWS data, open a symbol in the DOM, or add new symbols in QuoteManager. This was my first time since buying MultiCharts two years ago to attempt this.

The process I used came from this help page:

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _User_Data

So here's what I did -

1. Set both of the PC's on Home Group network to make it easy to copy things.
2. Installed MultiCharts 9.0 beta on the new PC.
3. Based on the help file, I literally copied the C:\Program Files\TS Support\MultiCharts64 directory and all of it's contents from the old PC to the new one. This overwrote all the files - with the exception of a some files that didn't have permissions.
4. Went to QuoteManager and performed a complete export, and imported the .qmd onto the new PC. This seemed to work fine.
5. Went to PowerLanguageEditor, and exported all studies, signals, and functions on the old PC and imported to the new PC. I did this because all of the custom studies were not showing up after the "database copy".

After this process, I had to make a few more tweaks and everything looked like it was coming up. However, I cannot connect to the TWS data server. I've done everything I could think of, like deleting the broker profile and recreate. I've checked and re-checked the Global Configuration in TWS, and it all looks the same. At the end of all this, cannot connect. I've verified that I can still connect on the old PC, and that still works.

I'm hoping it's just something simple, and not something buggy in 9.0 beta. I'm also wondering about step #3 where I literally copied all those files over. For some reason that just didn't feel right - especially since some of the files didn't copy due to permissions. I was looking for something called a "database folder" in that directory - of which there is not one. So I assumed that mean the directory and it's contents.

Is my cloning process the right method, or should I be doing something else?

Thanks,
-harvester

TJ

Re: Moving MultiCharts To A New PC

Postby TJ » 29 Jun 2014

You have to tell TWS to accept connection from MultiCharts.

Go to TWS,
under Configuration,
in the box for Trusted IP Addresses,
add

Hope it works.

harvester

Re: Moving MultiCharts To A New PC

Postby harvester » 29 Jun 2014

Hi TJ,

First of all, thanks for the reply. I actually had already set this in the Global Configuration. What's interesting, is that even after setting the local host (127.0.0.1) as a trusted IP, and starting up TWS first - it still occasionally acts like this setting is not there. In other words, when I try to select another instrument in the DOM, it tries to startup TWS for login prompt, even though I've already got it started up.

Thanks again,
-harvester

harvester

Re: Moving MultiCharts To A New PC  [SOLVED]

Postby harvester » 30 Jun 2014

I just wanted to update this post with the solution to my problem. In this case, it was a small detail that was easy to overlook.

In Quote Manager under Tools you can setup the Data Sources. In the Interactive Brokers setup the IP address for some reason was empty. It was supposed to have the local host (127.0.0.1), but it wasn't there. I don't recall having to set this up when I first installed MultiChart a couple years ago. In any case, Andrew from support quickly performed his baseline checks, and found that missing.

-harvester

Return to “MultiCharts”