Rithmic Data

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tony

Rithmic Data

Postby tony » 08 Jul 2014

The subject is actually two-fold. I am running a demo account with Vision Financial and using Rithmic to connect MC. From what I am told by Vision is that in order to use Rithmic, you must also populate charts with Rithmic data. For example, they are telling me you cannot use IQFeed for data and run Rithmic to connect to your broker. The tech I spoke with said that may have changed, but he understood it to be, Rithmic data must be used when running Rithmic as your broker profile.

1 - Does anyone know if this is in fact correct?

2 - I'm hesitant to switch data providers for a long list of reasons, but am curious if anyone has seen any difference in data quality between Rithmic and IQ.

Thanks for any help....

MAtricks

Re: Rithmic Data

Postby MAtricks » 08 Jul 2014

Rithmic is better than IQ Feed in every way except for availability of historical data.

What I would do is combine your historically saved data from IQ with live Rithmic and rid yourself of that annoying 3rd party data provider.

More than anything else, Rithmic connects to MC better than any other data feed.... and I've used them all.

As far as using Symbol Mapping with IQfeed + Rithmic for live trading, I've never done this. Dan at Vision probably knows the answer to this question, but I have a hard time believing that it doesn't work.... Henry/Andrew?

tony

MA Tricks, you are a huge help as always and I appreciate it. Dan seemed to think that Rithmic required that they provide data when they execute as well. He was not 100% sure but didn't think it was possible to run IQ and Rithmic on the same chart (IQ for chart data and Rithmic to execute).

I'm going to run side by side charts for a few weeks and compare theoretical orders to understand if there are any noticeable discrepancies with data before switching.

I had done some work for a prop firm and was using IQ and they TT and with Treasury futures we noticed pretty significant variations in how candles were formed, enough to cause varying results.

MAtricks

Tony,

I suggest speeding up the process by exporting todays data from the Quote Manager and comparing each tick in excel.

1. Load up charts with any tick based bar for both data providers and for each symbol you'd like to analyze.
2. Open Quote Manager and right click the symbols you loaded. Select export trade data with a 1 tick interval
3. Load them up in excel and compare

Hopefully that helps.. I've done it myself and found Rithmic to be the faster and cleaner of the two.

tony

Once again, thank you MATricks! In regards to historical data, is it six months of historical tick data that IQFeed provides that makes it superior from an historical standpoint? I don't fully appreciate the difference in terms of historical data.

MAtricks

Yes, I like the 6 months of tick data which is provided by IQfeed. Rithmic only provides the current session of tick data so if you turn off your machine for a day or two, you have a gap in your data that needs to be filled. Not horrible.. but highly annoying.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jul 2014

Hello tony,

That is possible to have IQFeed data on the chart and execute orders from this chart to Rithmic broker (this is one of the key benefits of MultiCharts). You will need to configure the symbol mapping to do that.

tony

Postby tony » 10 Jul 2014

Hello tony,

That is possible to have IQFeed data on the chart and execute orders from this chart to Rithmic broker (this is one of the key benefits of MultiCharts). You will need to configure the symbol mapping to do that.
Thanks Henry. I am familiar with symbol mapping. When I was speaking with a tech rep at a broker who offers Rithmic they thought that Rithmic required that executions using Rithmic data only and would not allow IQ for data for example and Rithmic for trade execution.

He was not 100% sure but felt that was the case to ensure execution quality (in other words, not relying on what Rithmic may view as inferior data providers). Do you know if the rep's statement was inaccurate?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jul 2014

Thanks Henry. I am familiar with symbol mapping. When I was speaking with a tech rep at a broker who offers Rithmic they thought that Rithmic required that executions using Rithmic data only and would not allow IQ for data for example and Rithmic for trade execution.
We are not aware of such Rithmic requirement. If you want to use a different data provider - you can do it in MultiCharts.
He was not 100% sure but felt that was the case to ensure execution quality (in other words, not relying on what Rithmic may view as inferior data providers). Do you know if the rep's statement was inaccurate?
As MAtricks has already stated above - data can be different. If data is different - the orders can be generated with different prices. I do not think that the price difference between the two can be too big (if there is any at all) to make huge impact, but it mostly depends on your strategy.

tony

Postby tony » 10 Jul 2014

I emailed Rithmic support directly. They have no restrictions. The tech at the broker was mis-informed. I appreciate all of the help. So to close out this topic and for any future reference others may need, Rithmic allows any data provider to be used to populate charts. Contrary to what some broker(s) may say.

Return to “MultiCharts”