PM issue MC-879 not showing as being targeted for 9.1  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Jad

PM issue MC-879 not showing as being targeted for 9.1

Postby Jad » 28 Jul 2014

In the previous thread about the 9.0 Beta 1, the topic of http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-879 was mentioned as being targeted for 9.1. However, the 'ALL ISSUES (MULTICHARTS) BY MILESTONE (1681)' page http://www.multicharts.com/pm/index.php does not show MC-879 as being targeted for 9.1.

Is its absence from that list of issues targeted for 9.1 due to you being too busy to update it or is MC-879 no longer targeted for 9.1?

arnie

Re: PM issue MC-879 not showing as being targeted for 9.1

Postby arnie » 29 Jul 2014

In the previous thread about the 9.0 Beta 1, the topic of http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-879 was mentioned as being targeted for 9.1. However, the 'ALL ISSUES (MULTICHARTS) BY MILESTONE (1681)' page http://www.multicharts.com/pm/index.php does not show MC-879 as being targeted for 9.1.

Is its absence from that list of issues targeted for 9.1 due to you being too busy to update it or is MC-879 no longer targeted for 9.1?
Read this
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1497

Jad

Postby Jad » 29 Jul 2014

Thanks but MC-1497 was one of the PM entries that prompted me to ask the question.

Did you read it and compare it to MC-879 - before MC-1497 and the 'All issues (MultiCharts) by milestone (1682)' pages were changed yesterday to add MC-879?

If so, you would have noticed that none of the other issues originally listed in MC-1497 requested the ability to set Stops and Targets on a Price in addition to requesting the ability to set multiple OCO or Bracket orders as is also suggested quite elegantly in MC-879.

The good news is that it has now been added and I look forward to its implementation. Does anyone have an approximate date for 9.1 Beta1 being available?
Last edited by Jad on 29 Jul 2014, edited 1 time in total.

arnie

Postby arnie » 29 Jul 2014

The good news is that it has now been added and I look forward to its implementation. Can anyone have an approximate date for 9.1 Beta1 being available?
Well, first there'll be the 9.0 RC version and then the 9.0 final version.

Maybe in 4 or 6 months (?) we're able to see the 9.1 beta1 version.
I think on average MC support has been releasing new versions every 6 months with minor updates along the way.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Jul 2014

Thanks but MC-1497 was one of the PM entries that prompted me to ask the question.
Did you read it and compare it to MC-879 - before MC-1497 and the 'All issues (MultiCharts) by milestone (1682)' pages were changed yesterday to add MC-879?

If so, you would have noticed that none of the other issues originally listed in MC-1497 requested the ability to set Stops and Targets on a Price in addition to requesting the ability to set multiple OCO or Bracket orders as is also suggested quite elegantly in MC-879.

The good news is that it has now been added and I look forward to its implementation. Does anyone have an approximate date for 9.1 Beta1 being available?
The PM entry MC-879 has been updated yesterday but there are some follow-up questions.

With the new backtesting/auto trading engine it will be possible to group orders in different OCO groups according to user written logic. That is already possible to set Stops and Limits on a Price, and this functionality will remain in the new engine. The main questions is - do you need just limit/stop orders based on a price with the ability to form your own OCO group or you also need the exact SetProfitTarget and SetStopLoss commands but based on a price?

Jad

Postby Jad » 29 Jul 2014

With the new backtesting/auto trading engine it will be possible to group orders in different OCO groups according to user written logic. That is already possible to set Stops and Limits on a Price, and this functionality will remain in the new engine.
As far as I'm aware sending an order with an 'explicit' price is not possible with the built-in strategy exit functions such as SetStopLoss and SetProfitTarget - and that is what part of MC-879 is addressing. Using these functions is the only way to create OCO orders in MC as it is now. While it is possible to use ordinary Buy and Sell etc. commands to send orders on a price, because they are not linked in the way OCO orders are, there is increased risk in the event of disconnection which is not present with OCO orders that are held 'server-side' by a broker.

The main questions is - do you need just limit/stop orders based on a price with the ability to form your own OCO group or you also need the exact SetProfitTarget and SetStopLoss commands but based on a price?
The current SetProfitTarget and SetStopLoss commands are linked to the Entry order even though they are not visible when the Entry Order is only 'Working'.
Once filled, they can be seen immediately on the book. This is in stark contrast to the delay that I mentioned on another thread when changing from a built-in strategy exit function to a normal Buy/Sell order. I originally tried to do that to change from the initial StopLoss to a Trailing Stop which was to be based only on Price. Rather than the delay being due to the SetStopLoss being within a condition (which showed no less of a delay no matter where I placed it), I think the delay is due to the difference between an order being 'modified' (which is almost instaneous) and the cancel/replace path which seems to have a one or two tick delay.

So, bearing that preamble in mind, as long as the OCO orders are linked - not only to each other - but also to the Entry Order as and when it is first submitted, I personally don't have any preference if you create new built-in strategy exit functions to submit OCO orders based on Price or if you permit OCO grouping using the more usual Sell/Buy/SellShort/BuyToCover commands. Others may have reasons for a preference of one over the other but I can't think of one (yet :-)). Only you know which option would be easiest and/or best to implement but I do think that Big Mike's design suggestion in MC-879 hits the mark.

More importantly for the new engine: What is inexplicably missing in the current version is the ability to enter a position with multiple contracts (at the same or different prices) and at the same time also submit multiple exits at different prices and for different position sizes.

e.g.
Buy 15 Contracts at Price(1960.25);
SetStoploss 15 Contracts at Price (1956.25);
SetProfitTarget#1 5 Contracts at Price(1962.25);
SetProfitTarget#2 5 Contracts at Price(1964.25);
SetProfitTarget#3 5 Contracts at Price(1966.25);

The ability to have these brackets submitted (and then trail the StopLoss if required) automatically has existed on every DOM that I've seen for many years - which I think is a testament to how popular and important a feature it is. To be unable to do that via a script in MC, despite it being requested for many years, is more than a shame.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: PM issue MC-879 not showing as being targeted for 9.1  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Aug 2014

Basically what you can expect in MultiCharts 9.1 is the same as I have described in the previous post:
With the new backtesting/auto trading engine it will be possible to group orders in different OCO groups according to user written logic. That is already possible to set Stops and Limits on a Price, and this functionality will remain in the new engine.

I have also asked our management to add prebuilt code examples for creating analogues of SetStoploss and SetProfitTarget using the new engine. That should cover PM issue MC-879.
More importantly for the new engine: What is inexplicably missing in the current version is the ability to enter a position with multiple contracts (at the same or different prices) and at the same time also submit multiple exits at different prices and for different position sizes.
e.g.
Buy 15 Contracts at Price(1960.25);
SetStoploss 15 Contracts at Price (1956.25);
SetProfitTarget#1 5 Contracts at Price(1962.25);
SetProfitTarget#2 5 Contracts at Price(1964.25);
SetProfitTarget#3 5 Contracts at Price(1966.25);
At the moment you can do that only using regular stops and limits with all orders (generated on the same calculation) in the same OCO group. In MultiCharts 9.1 you will be able to do exactly what you need.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 19 Dec 2015

With the new backtesting/auto trading engine it will be possible to group orders in different OCO groups according to user written logic.
When will this new backtesting engine arrive? I'm looking forward to it, but see that this week its PM issue has been postponed. First it was targeted for MC 9.1, then 'MultiCharts Next Release', and now it isn't targeted anymore. That doesn't sound good.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 21 Dec 2015

With the new backtesting/auto trading engine it will be possible to group orders in different OCO groups according to user written logic.
When will this new backtesting engine arrive? I'm looking forward to it, but see that this week its PM issue has been postponed. First it was targeted for MC 9.1, then 'MultiCharts Next Release', and now it isn't targeted anymore. That doesn't sound good.
Hello JoshM,

Unfortunately we cannot provide any ETA for adding this functionality at the moment.

Return to “MultiCharts”